MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Enthusiast

is this a good buffer or not?

I was looking at Harbor Frieght and they have a buffer for $49.00. It's 3/4 hp and is 3450 or 3600 rpm. Would this be a good choice or not? Should a buffer be 3600 rpm or is 1725 rpm better and what horse power is best? Also this is an 8 inch wheel buffer. Is the 8 inch a good size for buffing wheels? I just don't want to go to cheap if it is just a waste of money please let me know. Any opinions would great.
Thanks
Old 03-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast

try sears/craftsman little more money but they stand behind thier tools with a good warranty. just a thought
Old 03-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The 1725 speed - or even slower - is better for a buffer. For $49 though, that is probably the best buffer you can get. I think it's really nothing but a bench grinder with buffs mounted on it. I have two of those and they work OK, but you have to be very careful because of the speed. You can easily burn soft materials and blades can be pulled from your hands in the blink of an eye. One thing that helps a little is to use 6" buffs so that you will have a little less surface speed on the wheel. As for horse power, buffers don't generally need much but I still like all I can get. I have two Grizzly buffers that are 1 hp at 1725.

One real draw back to those bench grinder buffers is that short arm can interfere when trying to buff large items, especially with the smaller wheels.......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-03-2005, 12:41 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Im with Ray, I have 2 of the grizz buffers with the long extension arms, If I remember right I got them on sale for $69 each. Worth looking into.

God Bless
Mike

Old 03-03-2005, 10:27 AM

Heres one that I ordered and should be here today. I am using an old .75 horse motor @ 1750 rpm. And using the large 3 step pulley on the arbor with a 1" pulley on the motor, I should be able to have it turn real slow if needed.BUFFER

Last edited by hogcat; 03-03-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:08 PM

Well, I got it a couple hours ago. Bolted it down and hooked up the motor. Mounted a buff wheel on one end and a scotchbrite wheel on the other end. Hit the switch and the assembly was shaking so bad I hit the off switch as fast as I could!! Took the wheels off and tried it again. It still shool a bit. Turning it over by hand I saw that the right hand shaft was bent! I measured it and it was running off center .080, way too much!! Called up Grizzly and explaned it to them. They are sending me another shaft, which they are going to check for straightness before sending it. So I guess I will have to wait a few more days to play shining things up!