MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 09-26-2004, 01:46 AM

Send a message via MSN to Ladybug
Lining Holsters

Hi Guys,
It's been a while since I've posted.. but need your help again.. I do read everyones posts.. just not knowledgeable like you all. Now.. for the help part.. I've been making gun holsters for folks, including myself... but now have a customer that wants his holsters lined. What do I line with? Do I make holster a tad bigger to accomidate the lining?? Do I sew the lining to the top and bottom of holster? If so, how close to the edge? I sew everything by hand, no machines here.. If I do a decorative stamp around borders of holster do I do that before or after lining is added? Sorry for sounding so dumb, and for asking holster questions in sheath forum, but I didn't know where else to ask for help.
Thanks to everyone in advance.. Am I in over my head?
Ladybug
Old 09-26-2004, 11:59 AM

Ladybug,

Holsters and gunbelts account for the majority of my projects. Lining a holster is not difficult. My preference for lining material is calfskin. There are many others you can use, goatskin pigskin, etc., but the smooth finish of top grade calfskin makes for a real smooth draw from the holster.Not knowing the particular style of holster your building, I'll give some pretty generic instructions. Once your holster has been cut out and all tooling done, I cement the liner to the flesh side of the holster using Tanner's Bond. Once the cement has dried for a couple hours I will sew my liner. I typically sew the liner about 1/8" to 3/16" in from the edge. Again, not knowing the style of holster you should sew all around the holster with the exception of the main seam. I will then burnish all edges with the exception of the main seam. Now fold your holster, glue and sew your main seam. As far as form and function goes, a properly lined holster can't be beat.

Bobby
Old 09-27-2004, 12:08 AM

Thanks Bobby

This winter i'll be working on my first gunbelt... holsters are for cowboy action shooting.. my customer want's a plain set of holsters this time, with liner. The ones i've made for him before wer fully carved and stamped with a band and conchos. Mine are plain with band and conchos. Also I have a holster for my 22 that is Mexican double loop. Do I cut the holster a tad bigger to accomidate the lining?

Ladybug
Old 09-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If I do a decorative stamp around borders of holster do I do that before or after lining is added?
Howdy Ladybug- I pretty well do it the same as Bobby and like him HIGHLY recommend calf skin or thin cowhide in either 2/3 oz or 3/4 oz (I normally use 3/4 oz since I always have it on hand for making cartridge loops.

Quote:
Do I cut the holster a tad bigger to accomidate the lining?
I make lined holsters using an outer shell that when matched to the lining equals my standard singel weight thickness of 8/10 oz - so when using 3/4 oz for the liner I use a 5/6 oz outer shell - that way no size change is necessary and the final product is no bulkier than necessary.

Quote:
If I do a decorative stamp around borders of holster do I do that before or after lining is added?
I do all deco work before lining - that way if you mess something up you don't lose your lining.

Quote:
Do I sew the lining to the top and bottom of holster? If so, how close to the edge?
Yes - at the same distance and stitch length as my main seam - I usually use a 3 cord thread for the liner and 5 cord for the main seam. On Mexican Loop style holsters with a slotted back flap I normally sew around the outer edge but hardly ever sew around teh slots.

Quote:
Sorry for sounding so dumb, and for asking holster questions in sheath forum
IMO - There is no such thing as a dumb question and it was the consensus of a poll I ran a while back that all things leather - well maybe not ALL things - should and can be discussed here.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:40 PM

Chuck,

What is your preferred method for cartridge loops, sewn loops or what I term the lace method?

Bobby
Old 09-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Bobby -
90% of my loops are either full woven aka laced, which IMO are the best/strongest or semi-woven. The difference being the semi-woven have a space between the loops, which can actually help cut down on the number of loops while still using up space on the belt.
here are examples of both types - you can clearly see the difference both inside and outside - the top is semi-woven the lower full woven:

I charge extra for sewn loops as they take much more time. Also the sewing acts like a zipper making sewn loops the least strong of all.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:41 PM

Chuck,

Very interesting, I've never seen the semi-woven loops. Man, you do some beautiful work!!! If you ever decide to take on an apprentice, let me know. I'd love to see you do a video on holster making.

If I could type faster, I'd ask 100 questions.

Bobby
Old 09-28-2004, 01:04 AM

Chuck

Thanks for all your help.. i'm with Bobby... wish i could come take lessons.. when i visited the new Tandy store in Milwaukee area the lady told me to buy this very thin leather she has... said it's what everyone lines with. it was paper thin, so i didn't know if i should buy or not Glad i waited to ask here. All the help you folks give here is so great. Thank YOU

Ladybug
Old 09-28-2004, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Howdy folks -
I 'm thinking about doing a cowboy holster video, but right now I'm still playing catch up with orders and figure it would be December at least before I can breath free - and that only if nothing else slows me down.

Bobby and Ladybug - any specific questions that would be easier having answered in person call me sometime - I am generally available from 11:00-7:00 Mountain time - it I ain't I let you know and call you back at a better time for both of us - I have unlimited long distance so....

For any one wishing to get good all I can say is it's a matter of: study, dedication and perspiration!
The only way I know how to get better is just do it - you've got to be willing to fail too - not everything you do will be good and sometimes it can even be a catastrophic failure, but you really won't know until you do it. I don't worry much about perfection anymore - the only perfection in this world is that of the Great Spirit - but one should strive for it and never let anything subpar go out your door. Heck my mistakes/throwaway box is always at least half full!

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 09-28-2004, 04:59 PM

Chuck,

I'm in total agreement on your statement of "don't be afraid to make mistakes." Some of the best lessons I've learned were from my biggest screw ups. Anytime I make a mistake, I write down the lesson learned. The list is pretty long!

Bobby

Tags
blade