MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 04-10-2002, 12:09 PM

1x42 belt with 1/3 hp motor--enought to start?

I have seen couple of deals on these. Although I would like to build or buy a monster 2x72, I don't seem to be getting there either by ambition or pocketbook. I may also have a want/need to make my shop "portable". So is this enough grinder (thinking grizzley or enco(baldor)) to do blades, bolsters, and handles? I think the grizzleys come with a 1/2 hp motor. I don't have aspirations to make a bazillion knives but I am not getting any made right now since I have to go use someone else's.
Thanks, Jim
Old 04-10-2002, 12:27 PM
J Loose

It's enough to start- I went on something similar for about a year.

It'll also be strong encouragement to upgrade.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:11 PM
KandSKNIVES

Jim, I have worked for 4 yrs. with 1X42 grinders and still do. I know have 3 and 2 are variable speed. They are slow and you will make alot of mistakes on them, but you will learn to really grind. When you do get yourself a 2X72, you will find out how much a little 1X42 has taught you. I would suggest you upgrade the motor to a 1/2 HP or 3/4 HP motor, if possible make it variable speed.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:24 AM
P MOORE

I have been working with a 1 x 30 Delta for about 8 months. I just completed buiding my 2 x 72 last week, But haven't ground a blade on it yet. For some reason I feel rather attached to my first grinder sitting over there looking all hurt. Paul
Old 04-11-2002, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the input. I can get a 1x42 with a 1/2hp motor from grizzley (they have two models, one with a intergrated motor and one with a "replaceable" one, so it seems). I am at a point where I want to start grinding but cannot justify the time to build or money to buy a bigger one. Jim
Old 04-11-2002, 01:23 PM
P MOORE

OK, go to ebay search keyword sand. You may have to sort through a lot of junk, but you probably will find at least five 1x42 grinders for around $50.00. Heck you might get one for a steal. Paul
Old 04-12-2002, 07:24 AM
Geno

The smaller grinders are OK for shaping handles and such, but you need more power for grinding blades.
You probably could grind a blade with one, but it would take 40 evers!
The more horse power you tool has, the less power you have to provide yourself.

Tags
blade, knife, knives