MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 04-27-2004, 05:49 PM

Question Shop Safety

I recently read that you should never wear gloves while operating a buffer. Well, I have to admit following a recent acident that has cost me about 4 months of shop time and nearly cost me a finger, I'm reluctant to abide by this shop safety rule. I wasn't wearing gloves and I question would this have happened if I were wearing gloves? I'm still new at making knives, so I know I have a lot to learn, but now there is even more of a healthy fear. What is the harm of wearing gloves while buffing? Are their any suggestions for holding the blade firmly while buffing, now that I'm limited on strength in my dominate hand? Do you know of any particular gloves that would allow some protection and offer a nonslipping surface in the palm?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Old 04-27-2004, 06:19 PM
Skilled

Could your accident been prevented by wearing gloves?,could you have actually lost that finger and several others while wearing gloves,very possible.if you want to be brave and foolish you could test the option .every safety warning published tells you not to have loose exposed clothing,hair ,jewelry,etc . when using any spinning and rotating equipment.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Master

sometimes i wear those extremely tight fitting mechanix gloves. i started wearing these to protect my skin from getting buffed off when i had to buff really small parts (earrings). they might offer a little protection against cuts but probably not much do to the thinness. id be concerned wearing anything loose or real thick.

the main thing to do is make sure you always have a firm grip, and to use the bottom of the wheel so if it grabs the piece it will hopefully fly away from you. never push a piece at angle where the wheel has a edge it can grab onto...you always want the wheel sliding across the surface with nothing for it to grip. never have any part of your hand underneath the blade...that way if it catches and throws the blade down you wont cut a finger. i try my hardest to never, ever buff on a already sharpened blade....thats asking for trouble.

you can also use a low horsepower buffer, it will take longer to buff because you cant apply as much torque, but it also has less strength to rip a piece out of your grip.

all pretty basic stuff but its kept me accident free thus far.

-Jason Aube
Old 04-28-2004, 09:18 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

gloves?

RULE#1. Get comfortable.
Your best work is produced when the maker is comfortable with his/her environment.
Tension in the shop causes accidents, relax and have fun.

Most people don't wear gloves for safety reasons, myself included(except when welding).
I need to feel everything and don't have much feeling left in my hands(because not wearing gloves), so I can't get comfortable using them. They become more dangerous if you are not used to wearing them and can get caught up in something.

Some do, some don't-for you, make yourself comfortable and go to work.
For goodness sake, have fun, work safe, be blessed!:cool:
Old 04-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast

Smile

The buffers a nasty tool, I dislike it as much as the bandsaw. One thing I do to ensure I don't have to ask my wife to drive me to the emergency room is never sharpen a blade till all the work is done. I leave a blunt edge then do the rest with stones. I also cover the blade with a kydex sheath and duck tape it. This way I protect the blade and myself. I don't wear gloves because they impede "feel", I like to know when the metal gets hot, and the obvious safety reasons. Hope you can draw some good info from all this. Good luck and stay safe.
NT
Old 04-28-2004, 07:48 PM

Always keep a clear mind when buffing. Everytime I have an incident where a piece is thrown or the buff grabs an edge, it is because I am thinking about something besides the process in front of me. I don't see where gloves would be a factor one way or the other, unless you are not thinking about where your hands are and where the edge is in relation to the buff. Another trick I use, is when buffing into a tight corner or some other detail which is prone to grab, I switch my buff out for a stiff bristle brush. It doesn't remove metal as quick, but stays cooler and is much less likely to grab at your workpiece.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Registered

That why hand sand One finger was enough for me took the end
almost off. no more buffers.
Troy Brown

Tags
blade, knife, knives