MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 12-30-2001, 03:07 AM
cplane

How about adding a feedback section

I'd like to see some sort of a feeback section so you can get an idea of who you are dealing with. Maybe just call it R&R for "Referals & References". Has anyone got any thoughts on this matter?
Old 12-30-2001, 07:47 AM
Bob Warner

I don't follow your idea (The goal of it anyway).

Do you mean a section where people post comments about others and their dealings with them in the forum like e-bay feedback?

If that is what you are talking about, there may be room for it in the areas involving the sales of the knives they make or represent. However, in the rest of the forum it probably would not work real well.

If you go look around this forum, you will see posts where a person asks a question on how to do something. There could be 50 replies to that question, all different, all would work. But not necessarily will they all work if YOU did them. Would you leave positive feedback for the ones you sucessfully duplicated with positive results and negative feedback for those you could not duplicate?

If you want to know who your dealing with in terms of trusting that they have experience and won't lead you astray in their answers to your questions, I think as you spend more time here you will see that we keep each other in check around here. If you ask a question like what size drill bit to use for a certain screw, I may give you an answer that is unintentionally incorrect. However, there are a LOT of others out there that will read your question and my reply, and as soon a someone notices my improper answer they will jump in and say they disagree with my answer and give theirs. Soon several replies will show who is correct by the agreeable coments for the correct answer. This type of "Correction" happens all of the time and works only because I (and others) do not take it personal if I were "Corrected" because we would see that we made a mistake. The big thing here is that the "Correction" is done with respect. You won't see anyone say "Ignore Bob, do it like this instead". Maybe some felt like it before but they all managed to refrain themselves.

The trick to all of this is to understand that everything is up to you. People here will tell you what works for them, you must decide what answers you are willing to take to your shop and try. To the best of my knowledge there has not been anyone here that intentionally tried to sabatoge others with bad answers. There have been disagreements, several of them, and not all of them were settled with pats on the back all around and everyone got happy again, but they usually start because someone disagrees with an answer and tried to force their beliefs. It is all done in good faith.

Just read the forum for a while longer, you will see who answers most of the questions or at least gets others to add posts agreeing with them. Those that know will quickly become apparent and those that are seeking information will also become apparent. Those that don't know will probably not answer your question but if the do and it is wrong, their answer will be challenged by the rest of the forum members. Most new people (those that are not sure of their answers) will post answers to your questions as a "Why not try this" type of reply and those that do know will say, "I do it like this."

I hope I understood your suggestion correctly or I wasted a lot of good time trying to help.

Bottom line here is that our "Current" feedback medium is the REPLY button at the bottom of each post, don't be afraid to use it. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Your low number of posts to this forum means you are new HERE and not necessarily new to the knifemaking world, so please feel free to jump in with answers to the questions asked with either "try it this way," or "I do it like this."

This is my opinion and there may be a lot of others out there that have differing opinions. They are all welcome to voice theirs, that is why this forum is better than any I have seen.
Old 12-30-2001, 09:36 AM
Coop747

Let me state that Bob has AAA+ feedback in MY database!

Good answer, Bob.

Coop
Old 12-30-2001, 03:03 PM
cplane

Thanks for the reply, I should have been more clear in my post. (I think it was because I had stumbled to the computer at 3:00 a.m. and my mind wasn't working with my eyesight yet, not to mention the 2 fingers I type with! I meant to say the feedback in regards to trading and buying knives and equipment thru the forums. I see some of the same names here as the other knife/blade forums. And I am sure after I have been on here for awhile, I too will get to know some of the other folks that I haven't had a chance to deal with yet.But it would be nice to be able to do a search on someone that I am about to send $300.00 or more to , And see what other folks have to say about dealing with that person. There are several arguments that I have followed on some of the other boards that have kept me safe from dealing with someone that will mostlikely rip me off. I have been fortunate to have several good trades and buys thru the forums without getting taken for a ride. It's just a thought, But it would be a useful tool for the trading and buying section.
Old 12-30-2001, 05:28 PM
CKDadmin

I think you're talking about a "Buyer/Seller Ratings" board ... right? That would be where buyers could pass on their experiences, good or bad, about who they have dealt with and the transactions in general ...

Alex
Old 12-30-2001, 08:56 PM
cplane

Right!
Old 12-30-2001, 09:37 PM
Bob Warner

OH!

Nevermind.

Old 01-01-2002, 10:06 AM
Shadowenterprise

Bob....

Good answer nonetheless
Old 01-08-2002, 02:57 PM
Les Robertson

Re: Bob....

They call it Good, Bad & Ugly on Blade Forums.
Old 01-12-2002, 02:43 AM
viper5192

Right! And I will say I am not overly impressed with the GB&U forum on BF. It is in some ways good if you want to check the reliability of a maker/seller/dealer. In other ways it is very unharmonious, with accusations and bickering and arguing between sellers and buyers, makers and buyers etc. It is a sort of dirty laundry/gripe forum IMO and would not really benefit the people who frequent this forum.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-12-2002, 06:59 AM
dogman

This board is self-policing and I think the word would get around pretty quickly if someone was doing someone wrong. I agree that the GBU areas on all the other forums have a reoccuring problem of someone accusing someone else of inappropriate behavior and it turns out they are over reacting. We have not had a real problem with misunderstandings during transactions, so I don't see a need for a feedback forum right now.

Besides, it is common knowledge that all CKD members are good
Old 01-16-2002, 11:30 AM
Geno

I will answer from a founding members point of view.

In the beginning(no this is not a sermon) Alex picked a handfull of knifemakers to help him get this started.
He carefully hand picked them to help set the atmosphere here.
You will see how this forum is quite different, in many ways, to the others. It has ALWAYS been a place where we lift each other up, a place to learn and swap ideas, without the cut throat mentality.
We take great pride in what we do, and only want to share this joyful craft in the best of light.
I have never seen "SMEERING" here. It is against the nature of what we are trying to do.
If you are asking for a "bitching forum" where you can tattle or praise, I suggest you do all the "praising" in public here on the forums, and take the "bithing" to a private E-mail to the individual you are having the problem with. If that does not help fix the problem, we would obviosly want to help you to fix the problem, but there is a proper way of doing things.
If ever you have a problem that you can not correct yourself, feel free to write me personally so I can help you, or Alex, or Ed, or Steve, ect.......
We all come here for the same reason, same as you.
"To learn, love, and share what we can about the craft we enjoy so, in an atmosphere where no one will be embarrassed to ask questions.
If ever a customer of mine was not happy with ANY purchase, I would rather fix the problem in private, rather than to read about it in a "bitch" column somewhere.That would only cause resentments, and make it harder to please that customer as an end result.
We believe that communication is the key, not blame.

Information and encouragement is what we are about.
I know I am not alone in this response to you, it is the very nature of what we are trying to accomplish here.

I appreciate your concern.
You simply don't want to get ripped off.We don't either, it's that simple.
If ever you have an issue you are uncomfortable bringing up here in the public forums, please write to one of us for some help.
After all, HELP is what we are here for.
I can't think of a single person here who wouldn't help if they could.
Thank you for your concerns and input about this problem reaching this forum, but we are here to keep those kinds of problems away from here.
If ever you need to just VENT STEAM, the General Knife related discussion forum would be the place to put it.
I hope you recieve this reply with the love it was sent with.
I love knives.
I love the people who love them too. Fare enough?
We are all in this boat together, why rock it?

As an employer, I was taught to always "praise" in public, and "scorn" in private to get the best results.

Tags
blade, knife, knives