MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to metalking00
Question Switchblade

How does the spring part of the switchblade work? I want to make one.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Master

There's different styles, I know how one kind works...

on one of the scales, the area surrounding the pivot pin hole is hollowed out, allowing a coil spring to fit in there. One end of spring is straight out and fits into a groove off of the original hollow. The other pin points straight up and fits into a second small hole in the blade near the pivot hole. It should be under tention even when the blade is fully open.

The button has a small spring in the bottom (one that pushes the flint up in a lighter, cut shorter, would work good), which pushes it out and there's a lip so it won't come out of it's hole on the scale. The button is shaped kinda like a barbell, the bottom and top are thicker. The narrow part should be as tall as the width of your blade.

When it's closed, the spring is trying to open it, but the thick part of the button is blocking the blade from moving. When you push the button, the thin part lines up with the blade which allows the blade to spring out. There should be a groove in the open position to allow the button to move back up.

It sounds really complicated, and I don't think my camera can take detailed enough pictures to see how it works, but if you can get your hands on one and take it apart to look at it's alot less complicated then it sounds.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Steel Addict

thanks, Im thinking of going to Chinatown and getting one (You can usually haggle them down from $50 to $5) and either taking it apart, or being complacent with it operating.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:15 AM
Guru

Chris, When your in china town stop of at the pier and have a big bowl of clam chowder for me....They make the best there.

Shane
Old 05-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Steel Addict

gladly, though Im partial to the chowder they have at disneyland (In the bread bowls)....yummmmmmm, brings back memories.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:52 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
http://ckdforums.com/showthread.php?...atic+mechanism
http://ckdforums.com/showthread.php?...lade+mechanism
http://ckdforums.com/showthread.php?...ease+mechanism
http://ckdforums.com/showthread.php?...ease+mechanism

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 05-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Steel Addict

thanks, though now I feel stupid
Old 05-11-2004, 08:06 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Quote:
Originally posted by metalking00
thanks, though now I feel stupid
Now why would you feel stupid? If it's because you didn't find those threads in a search, don't worry about it. I've been very active on the forums for almost 2 years (although it seems like much longer), so I remember a lot of these old threads.

If you're feeling stupid because you still don't understand the inner workings of a switchblade, don't feel bad there either. It took several explanations of a bolster release (or scale release) auto for me to finally understand. I'm still a little fuzzy on the OTF autos, although the picture is becoming clearer every time I look at one.

That's the trick. If you want to figure something out, keep studying it. You will eventually catch on. I'm firmly convinced that anyone can learn anything -- you just have to have a burning desire to learn.

And don't be afraid to ask questions. That's what we're here for.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 05-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Steel Addict

thanks

Tags
blade, knife, switchblade