MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 09-26-2006, 04:18 PM

Sumthin' to show

Hi Roc,

We've had the pleasure of a number of visits from you over on the Randall forum, but I really haven't had much to contribute over here until now. Picked this puppy up recently and thought you might like to see it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Best,

Ron
Old 09-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Yeowza! That looks alot like a Richtig. Do you got a pic of the mark?

Old 09-26-2006, 06:15 PM

It's unmarked as many were. I have 2nd hand input from Mr. Suedmeier that it's the real thing subject to being able to confirm after he had it in hand. I was able to get the full name of the owner off the face of the hilt and have it matched up with his WWII service history.

Ron
Old 09-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Oh man Bo! That knife has some history!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 09-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Great score!

Old 09-30-2006, 04:37 PM

Thanks, Roc. I've looked at thousands of obscure auctions just on the slim chance that a great knife may not be properly described. The last tme I got lucky was about three years ago. If I calculated my time spent against my gains. I'm probably making about 75 cents an hour. No matter. It all seems worth it when something comes along.

Ron
Old 09-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Hall of Famer

It is a labor of love. Like treasure hunting or playing the lotto using your time as money. Glad to hear I am not the only one who has done an all nighter of "one more page" or "2000 listings? Ahhh, I can breeze thru that."
It helps to have a little mad money on hand to jump on a bargain. I have to stay away when I am low on cash so as not to get dissapointed. My friend is a worse speller than I am, but it works to his advantage more times than not. Creative searching can be fruitful. Simpler the better can work too. Someone asked me how I find all those antique bowies. Simple, type in "Bowie knife" and hit highest prices first. Even "knife" and highest price first can show some of the coolest art knives on the market.
A great place to study, if you can weed thru the BS and have a decent reference library to check the facts. Ebay is the perfect example to refute the old saying, "If it looks like a duck', because it may not be a duck just because it looks like one. It may not be what its quacked up to be. Oops, sorry about that one.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:19 AM

Looks like I'm in good company, Roc. Unfortunately I think there's a "lot of us" out there. The competition is pretty tough. We all have our personal search categories. I do the "knife" search with highest prices first at least once a day. You're right: you can learn a lot about knives doing this. If I see a mark I'm not familiar with I will "Google" it. Half the time I'll come up with something. This Richtig sat under the radar screen for most guys most of it's listing time. It had only one bid of 5 bucks going in to the last day and was under a hundred bucks going in to the last minute. The seller told me she had a number of buy-it-now offers, so I knew there was going to be some serious sniping at the end. I always try to come up with a bid amount in my mind that I won't be sorry if I win or lose. It's not easy to do, but most of the time I'm OK no matter how the auction ends up. On the money thing: Most of time I have to sell one or more knives from my collection in order to buy a new one. I "try" to stay one knife ahead, but circumstances don't always allow this. I've been frustrated a few times myself.

Hers's an interesting one I've been watching just out of curiosity (I have no intention of bidding on it). It's old and I can't come up with anything on "SMITHS"! Any ideas?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Ron

Last edited by BoBlade; 10-01-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Hall of Famer

I don't think you got hurt a bit on that Richtig. Do you plan on getting it appraised? I hear people complain about sniping, but there is no other way to play over there. You cannot compete and win by showing your hand too early.

That Smiths is a looker. Great flow, beautiful lines, nice patena, maybe too nice. I would like to smell it and see if it smells like clorox. The layering in the one slab gives me the impression that it has seen some etching/ageing in the artificial way. I always wonder what BL would have to say. Should we go ask him? I am very curious.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:33 PM

It's going to end up on e-bay properly identified with provenance. You can't get a better appraisal than the highest bid on e-bay. I wish I could keep them all, but it's just not in the cards. I'm relegated to having a niche collection. Not just Randalls, but pretty much just Randall hunters. I told my wife four years ago that my collecting would be self perpetuating. I'll buy and sell anything I think I can make a few bucks on and learn some in the process. It ain't a bad gig.

Good idea on BRL. I'd be interested in what he has to say as well. Please be my guest.

Ron
Old 10-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Well at least my record for being wrong is still 100% intact.

Quick response from BL.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...77#post4019477

Old 10-02-2006, 09:14 AM

The only thing that's important is that we both learned something. If it's WWII, chances are that the blade grind was developed independently of Randall. Randall only made a handfull of "hunters" during WWII and the Model 3 didn't take on the blade shape we know today until mid / late '45.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Hall of Famer

Read Bernards update. It does look rather Ozzy.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:05 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESO%3AIT&rd=1

Well Roc, I made a few bucks on the Richtig. I also sold a VN era Randall fighter Sunday. So now I'm on the prowl for an old Randall. Here kitty, kitty

Tags
blade, knife, knives