MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
Just bought a KMG..

Just bought a KMG, (WOOO HOOOO ) need to sell my Grizzly. I ordered the platen ver. of the KMG. I have the 8 and 10 inch wheels for the Grizzly. Should I sell both with the grizzly or save the 10 to adapt to the KMG ? Is it adaptable ?

thanks

Dave

PS, I will finally be in the brotherhood of the Ex Grizzly owners that bash them now cuz they have a KMG ! LOL
Old 06-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Master

Congrats Dave. I think on the Griz it's a drive wheel, and on the KMG it needs to freewheel on bearings. Hold off on selling the old grinder until you have a chance to eyeball the 10" wheel on your new grinder. Or keep both grinders.
Good luck, Craig
Old 06-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Skilled

agree,,its hard for me to sell any equipment
you might use the Griz on other projects.
Skip
Old 06-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You could join the brotherhood of Grizzly bashers, it's your choice, but there is another group you could also join - the brotherhood of guys who finally own a really nice grinder but still find their Grizzly to be useful. I'm a paid up member of the B.O.G.W.F.O.R.N.G.B.S.F.T.G.T.B.U and I know ther are many other members. Many makers have more than one grinder and more than a few of those second grinders are Grizzlies. Don't be too quick to abandon that old work horse....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Registered

I have both sides of my grizz set up to buff. Very handy..
Old 06-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Steel Addict

welcome to the club!
I have said before and i'll say it again and agian.
I love my kmg!!!!!

Raymond Johnson
http://home.earthlink.net/~rcmsp/
Old 06-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Master

I have to sell it to get money to buy other needed tools. I did like it and may some day find the need for one.I went ahead and sold the 10 inch wheel also. Didnt take but a couple hours on craiglist to find someone to buy it.Now I have 350 for a nice motor set up or a better bandsaw or more accessories for the KMG.

thanks

Dave
Old 06-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast

Congrats on the new grinder Dave
Regards,
Greg
Old 06-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Master

OK so let me see if I got this right. To go to 3 phase you have to have the Power company do some stuff at your shop. Then you need a 3 phase motor and motor controller ? I have a new dc motor controller.So I was trying to go Dc. But...It APPEARED that a motor and controller for AC was only about 500 for BOTH.??

thanks

Dave

PS if anyones got a source for a low cost dc motor thats NOT made for a treadmill. Hook me up
Old 06-24-2007, 01:36 PM

Half right Dave, you don't need 3 phase in your house (very expensive to get) to ru a 3 phase motor. What you need is a VFD controller from Rob Frink and the 3 phase motor he provides. That setup can run on 220v and some even on 110v. Be kind to yourself and, if you want 3 phase solution (the best), then see Rob Frink. End of story.

What dc controller do you have? If it won't handle at least a 1 hp motor drawing 10 amps or so then it's not going to help you. There's no such thing as a regular supply cheap dc motors that fits this requirement that I've ever found.

Both the VFD setup and a 1 hp Leeson DC motor with controller start around $600 I think. If you can spend in that range the least you should do is verify the price with Rob Frink and if the VFD is feasible, do it....

Old 06-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Master

Hi Dave, Usually, VFD speed controllers plug into normal single phase sources and have a 3ph output to control the speed on a 3ph motor. I think many folks have shifted away from dc setups because they are relatively low torque for its rating and seem to lose more on the lower rpm ranges. A good motor and controller can be a bit more than 500.00.
Good luck, Craig

Sorry Ray, I'm stuck in first gear.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Master

I have a KB Electronics KBMM-225 which will do 180v and 3 hp. I have been searching and learning all day . I found the 115v in and 230 out 3ph controllers.I am also looking at 230 in and 230 3ph out controllers. I found a 1.5 hp motor and vfd for 485.00 but cant find it again ! lol I am looking for a 1.5 to 2 hp ac 3 ph 220 motor now and a vfd . I dont have the 740 Rob wants for his set up. I just gave him 800 ! I only have 400 now. SO I look...

thanks guys

Dave
Old 06-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Master

I was gonna post a link to a nice new baldor 1.5HP, 1725RPM, 3PH, 60HZ, 184C FRAME, TEFC motor for 250 delivered but I dont want someone else to get it ! lol Its a model number VM3606. It would be nice ??

Dave
Old 06-24-2007, 03:24 PM

Sounds like you're doing your homework and thanks for getting us the exact price on Rob's setup. This question comes up about very other day so the correct info will be useful soon.

The Baldor sounds nices but 1.5 hp on a 3 phase would probably be a little light. I know you must be checking eBay too. Used to be, I could find 3 phase motors all over eBay for $2- - $50. I even saw a brand new 20 hp motor shrink wrapped and on a pallet for that price! No good for us but still gives you the idea that those motors should be cheap to buy. I've got two 3 phase motors motors mounted in the back of the shipping containers I bought that I'd sell for that price if I could just get them out of that darned enclosure! But, I'm too lazy to do that, at least not until I need one of them for a project....

Old 06-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Master

I was looking for 115 input and 1.5 is the highest you can go with 115. So I ll look for a 220 3 ph 2 hp. i did see a couple of those cheaper.

thanks

Dave