MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:04 AM

Transfering Image to handle for schrim and carving????

I'm not an artist (Can not do freehand)so I need a way to transfer an image to handle or bolster/blade for schrim and or carving. Yes I tried the search.

Paul

Old 12-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Master

Paul,

As a former scrimmer I would recomend that you learn to draw. Even if you have to take some classes, learn to draw.

I have three reasons for offering you this encouragement to draw.

1. If you are scrimming other peoples images onto a knife handle you run the risk of a copywrite lawsuite. No I am not blowing this out of proportion. I have had to deal with this twice in my career. The first time I was guilty of it the second time I was not.

In the first instance I had scrimmed a portrait of a famous actress at the request of my customer. The pic was a scene from a movie where she played a female gunfighter. The pic showed up in a magazine and I got a call from the ex husband of this actress. This ex husband ran the company that owned the copywrite to the movie and the images in it. I am quite certain the only thing that saved me from a lawsuite was the fact that I was a minor when I did that work (I was 16 at the time). Once the guy found out I was a minor he dropped the conversation and I never hear from him again.

The second instance I had engraved an image of an animal and a certain well known wildlife artist decided that it looked too much like one he had done in the past and lawyers were called. My lawyer told me that I could win the case but it would cost me in the neihborhood of $15,000 $20,000 to do so. He went on to tell me that if I settled it would only cost me around $1,500. Guess what I did?

That is one of the reasons why I draw everything out in my sketch book now. If challenged I can produce my original drawings to back up the fact that the work is mine.

2. Learning to draw will improve your ability to scrim and carve.

3. You will get much more satifaction from doing your own work.

To answer your transfer question, I used to transfer scrim designs the same way I transfer engraving designs today. Dab a transfer wax (beeswax and tallow or sculptors wax) onto your surface. Trace your design onto mylar drafting film. Pick the pencil lines up off the mylar with clear tape and position the tape onto the work surface. Then burnish the tape to rub the graphite off the tape and onto the wax.

You have to be carefull not to wipe it off untill you get it scribbed but this gives a very good transfer.

Ray

ray@rcoverengraving.com
Old 12-16-2004, 06:16 PM

Thanks Ray; I will heed your advice on origional art work. I dont think I need to worry, the limit of what I want to do is Common objects such as pick and shovel and Miners helmet. Nevertheless I will use my own artwork such as it is.
Thanks again Ray.

Paul

Old 12-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Steel Addict

Another benefit in having the ability to sketch your projects is it gives the customer an opportunity to understand where you intend to go with the commision. In my case Ray sent me a drawing of his idea for my engraving project. I was pleased with the initial design, but if I had wanted something different we would have had something to base the discussion on.

JMW

Tags
blade, knife