MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Skilled

Cool Here is a picture of my question--

Does anyone know how the false edge looks on the "other" side or top of the blade? Does this grind go across the top of the blade to the other side? Is it usually sharpened? Sort of one sided like a "chisel" grind?
This knife is a "Woodhead Sheffield" circa 1840's

Old 01-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Skilled

Yes, on the Butcher and Woodhead style the false edge is ground evenly from both sides of the blade. I believe the false edge is sharp, or nearly so.

James Batson published a booklet on these a few years ago, well worth having if you can find a copy...

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Skilled

Cool commissioned to build---

Thanks for your input! I have been commissioned to build a knife with the false edge grind going from high right to lower left of the blade, or "one-sided" as I tried to describe. Any idea what makers or where this type of grind came from? I would rather grind it half on each side as you said, but like the old saying goes, "The cash paying customer is always right" .... at least mostly right. Jon Moore

Old 01-14-2014, 06:11 PM
Skilled

I know for a fact a one-sided grind was used on some (all? not sure) Bell dirks, but these are small knives and do not really fit most people's concept of a Bowie knife. It is also found on at least one style of Shively's Bowies... not sure if the one I'm familiar with was an odd-ball or if this is the case with all his work. I wish I could be of more help, I'm a student of the Bowie but by no means an expert...

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Skilled

Here are the Bell dirks I mentioned that do have a one-sided false edge...
http://bladesmithsforum.com/uploads/...1147955852.jpg

This type of grind is often seen on medieval knives from London...

Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Skilled

Cool thanks for the reply....

Yes, I also believe that some large "bowie" style knives had a grind just on one side of the blade's spine, and this is what my customer wants. I will not sharpen this completely but leave a little "land" unsharpened on the top.

I'm sure that with all the makers of the bowie hay-day, lots of designs and concepts were used- none being "wrong"!! If it doesn't take too long, I'll post a picture of the finished knife here- still doing some minor grinding. That "Batson" book does not come cheap!!!! $250.00 on Amazon!!! Thanks for your help! Jon

Old 01-14-2014, 10:20 PM
Skilled

Quote:
That "Batson" book does not come cheap!!!! $250.00 on Amazon!!! Thanks for your help! Jon
Ouch! I paid just a few bucks for mine just 5 years ago!

Perhaps you could contact James directly, he's a good guy and if he has one will likely sell it to you for a better price than that... he would also be the man to give you a solid answer to your question, I mentioned I am not an expert, well, if there is such a thing as an expert, he's the guy...

Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Skilled

Cool Hey George...

Hey George, I like that big honkin dagger knife you have on your photobucket, the one with the copper guard! Very nice!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:37 PM
Skilled

Thanks man!

Wade Holloway

See some of my work.

Tags
bee, blade, bowie, build, dagger, edge, grind, grinding, guard, knife, knives, man, post, sharp, sheffield