MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-12-2002, 02:58 PM
Registered

Send a message via Yahoo to lazywayze
A beginner to Knife-making

Hi Folks,

My request is simple. I would like to make my own 'Bowie Knife' as opposed to buying an expensive and possibly, inerior article. I am not worried about using machinery or tools and I don't mind messing with heat and grinders.

I need to know
a) What kind of tool steel I need (Or how to temper something else)

b) Any sources for authentic designs. (ie. Are ALL bowie knives the same, or are there variations?)

Many Thanks

Old 10-12-2002, 04:31 PM
Founding Member *SysAdmin*

Moved to Newbie's Arena - you will get a better response there.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

"Kind-hearted people might think there was some ingenious way to disarm or defeat an enemy without too much blood. This is a fallacy." - Carl von Clausewitz
Old 10-12-2002, 04:56 PM
Master

Hey Lazy ,

Welcome.

Here's the quick answer to your questions:

1) There are as many steels & ways to heattreat/ temper/ grind/ forge... etc, etc, as stars in the sky (almost)

2) There are as many designs/styles... Oh heck, please refer to my previous statement

Well, you get the picture.

It's been said before, checkout all the bowies you can find & find one or more close to what you require & copy/modify to suit. After all no bowie's new under the sun.

Ask in the newbies forum (& others) which is the kindest/most forgiving... etc etc materials to begin with.

Let those who are offering advice have as much info as possible, e.g. your experience level at steel/woodwork/finishing & your workshop size/tools/friends tools are, & we can start from there

Having said that, it's an addicting road you've stumbled onto & you will not be satisfied with just one:evil :evil :evil

• Who's There?
  • Cowsgo
  • Cowsgo Who?
  • NO, Cows Go Moo!
Old 10-12-2002, 05:08 PM
Master

Having said that, checkout Gilbert (Gib) Guignard & Bruce Evans for ideas.

IMHO, ain't nobodies better at Bowies

Don't want to upset anybody mind, this is just my opinion & a couple of good places to start

• Who's There?
  • Cowsgo
  • Cowsgo Who?
  • NO, Cows Go Moo!

Last edited by Colin KC; 10-12-2002 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2002, 06:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Bladewayze
For Colin KC

Hi Colin,

'Lazywayze' had to become 'Bladewayze' to post in the Newbies Arena. Just wanted to thank you for the information you posted for me. Also that site you gave me is in my 'favourites' folder. Indeed, some lovely knives.

As I said, I am not unfamiliar with workshops, and I regularly heat-treat metal, when making woodwork tools that I can't buy. As I can't buy a bowie knife either, (and I love knives!) I thought I might try my hand. Maybe I am being over-ambitious, but then what else have I to do with time, now that all wifely demands for furniture and decor have been met?

Take care Colin thanks again and...

Old 10-12-2002, 07:40 PM

a few suggestions

Probably the best thing you can do to start is to pick and read a few time some of the books on knifemaking. How to make knives by Barney and Loveless is one I use. I am sure others on the site will recommend other as well. I have found that 440C is a good relatively inexpensive forgiving knife steel with the added bonus of it being air quenched. Some non hardenable steel would also be a good idea for you to practice on. As I said, get the books read them then ask lots of questions at each stage. A large box for rejects is also a good idea. LOL
Steve
By the way if you can find a maker that lives in your area most are more than happy to give a newbie a hand.

Old 10-13-2002, 03:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Bladewayze
Hi SV

Hope it's okay to call you SV.
Thanks for you advice. I will search Amazon.co.uk for a book. If not there, abebooks.com usually have second-hand sources.

I noticed you asked about linseed oil finishes for wooden handles.

I might be able to help you. I always take the manufacturer's varnish off the wooden handles of steel bodied planes, and coat the wood with linseed oil. A few good coats, allowed to soak in over a period of time is a good method. With woodwork tools, of course, the regular use helps, and linseed mixed with good old sweat, gives a patina and a comfortable feel, you can't get any other way.
Buy RAW linseed oil in quantities as large you can get. Fill a few one pint bottles, (corked or metal screw-stoppered) place them on a high shelf and leave them alone for a few weeks. The oil will clear like a fine wine. You'll know, you can't drink the stuff of course! However, the resulting oil gives a great finish on most woods, especially the dark coloured varieties. Once a satisfactory build-up of oil is achieved, the occasional application of real furniture wax, keeps that handle really superb. Oh yes! Anyone who happens to practice oil-painting, will also be able to use the oil with their paint. It is that 'refined'. Much cheaper than those tiny bottles you find in the Art shops!

Take care and...

Old 10-13-2002, 06:09 PM
Skilled

bowies

Hey you might want to check out this website, how to make a bowie with no electricity by Tim Lively.

http://www.livelyknives.com/knifemakingvideo.htm

Tags
forge, knife, knives