MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 09-12-2002, 02:57 AM
Steel Addict

A quality isseu thread I'd appreciate Les' comments on...

Hi Les, I'd appreciate your comments on this customs quality issue thread. I know you have a lot of experience as a dealer...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...0&pagenumber=1

Old 09-17-2002, 09:42 AM

Hi Kevin,

Everybody has to learn about custom knives. Makers have to learn how to make them and collectors have to learn the differences between good and bad knives.

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to discourage someone one, once they put themselves in motion to purchase a knife with "perceivable" flaws.

Custom knife buying can be a very emotional experience. It is very easy to get caught up in the Hype. An example of this is the "hard use" knife maker you referred to.

Ultimately, it is the collector who pays the price for buying into the hype. In today's market as custom knives are for sale everywhere. Many collectors are learning (as did I years ago) that emotional purchases and purchases made without doing your homework are going to cost you thousands of $$$$ in the aftermarket.

For the record, Jerry Corbit does exceptional work. I have no doubt that the knife was "tinkered" with after it left Jerry's shop.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 09-17-2002, 10:42 AM
Steel Addict

Hi Les, thanks for commenting, I wondered if you have seen an increase in knives coming on the market with obvious flaws. As a dealer I'm sure you see more knives in a week than I see in 6 months. I know I have heard from many customers and seen many posts about knives arriving that were obviously defective. I've also seen a lot of them at shows, and by that I mean mainly folders that didn't work properly.

I have never handled one of Jerry Corbit's knives, so I can't - and haven't - commented on his work. There are several makers where one hears the caveat "It's a hard use tool" to which I say fine, but the price should reflect the design, fit, finish and materials... for example Martindale in England make an excellent hard use machete, which you can buy in case lots for $10 each... for that price they are super, for $300 each that would be... a bit much.

Mad Dog makes hard use tools, which - in my opinion and I've owned 2 of his knives - are super designed, exceptionally well made and certainly cost more than $10 - they're worth it too. You don't have to make any excuses there.

BTW I liked you comment on another thread - forget which now - where you noted that it would be difficult to get $250 for a Loveless knife today if it wasn't made by Loveless... that's what we in advertising call Brand Strength... Loveless is (living) proof of how much that's worth... and PLEASE don't get me wrong, I LIKE Loveless knives, his designs are wonderful and I'd be happy to pay the price and buy one if I could afford it...

Tags
forge, knife, knives