MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:10 AM

"HOT" Makers Part II

Ok,

We got a little side tracked in the other thread, it took on a "knife business" theme.

So the question is:

Who do you consider a "Hot" maker and why. They why is the important part. You have to tell us why you think the maker or a particular knife is "HOT".

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 03-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to JimmySeymour
Les this is difficult, because many makers are "hot" from time to time, depending on the coverage they get. Whoever you pick will definitly have there sales increase, making them hot, until someone else get's an article on them. Maybe you should make more subcategory's as to not hurt anyone feelings, and get a more generalized view. Hottest folder maker, tactical, hunter, bowie, etc. And maybe some up and comers that are great values now so get them while you can types.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Skilled

Just read the article - most interesting. Glad to see I got a few right.

Roger
Old 03-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Steel Addict

Don Fogg is hot. I don't know why he is now and wasn't as much 4 yrs ago, but I know that his prices went up between 100% and 150%. I also know that his knives used to stay up for sale for several days on his site and they now sell - litteraly - in minutes.

I remember a few years ago he organized an auction for some trully museum quality Kemal pieces, and they sold for peanuts.

I suspect that his come back was a function of 3 things:
1 - He increased his output
2 - His time investment on the internet started generating a loud buzz. Some of his collectors - me included - have been very vocal on forums too and hopefully we contributed to raising his profile.
3 - His work on differential heat treatment and the associated polishing techniques finally started registering with both the collector community and other makers.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast

What is "Hot" ?

Is "hot" used as in 'a fad', or, as in 'best ROI for dealers', or as in 'product in demand', or, as in 'within a given area/region' ?

In my opinion, each can be applied depending upon one's perspective.

Look at D'Holder knives! D has produced around 15,000 knives to date, yet there are relatively few by comparison available on the aftermarket at any given time. This year(2006) will be his 40th year making knives, and his 18th year full-time. His knives are known worldwide, and can be found in many countries. He readily sells all that he produces.

To me, I would surely consider him a "hot" maker, but that is my own opinion, probably colored by the fact I have a couple of his knives.
Del

Tags
knife, knives