MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:51 AM

Hi David,

Well-put thoughts and a perspective that you are familiar with. We're all thinking this through. Thanks for your dialog.

Hi Roger,

Photography? I have a few thoughts.....

Funny, but I have not encountered any online discussions or heard in any form from a maker that the pricing was too expensive. I only mean I didn't actualy hear it. The implication is abundantly apparent, though.

I just created ads for the two new online publications, and had a lengthy interview for an article on me and my photo work for BI. In my comments, I submitted that one of the most common mistakes a maker can do is hastily send out lousy images of their work. In their zest to show it off, they have LOST the emotional impact that a *really* clean image will deliver. And it is emotion that drives the sales in a discretionary product market.

First impressions are worth more than you might consider. You need to create a desire to own that knife. Personal zeal and excitement, or the always-regrettable "Sorry for the lousy pics...!" qualifier STILL never make up for lost ground.

Nuff said. (Notice there are TWO fairly new online magazines adding exposure to the market. I jumped RIGHT on that bandwagon!)

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Hall of Famer

Hope this isn't to much off topic, but speaking of first impression, what do you guys think about sheaths as part of the overall package? I see lots of knives photographed without sheaths, and a lot with. Will one outsell the other? Will an educated buyer care about a sheath? They've been around for a while, consider the iceman.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 02-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Living Legend

On the photo, I had donated a blade to a charity raffle. They described it in glowing terms (though I still don't care for "homemade", IT'S NOT A COOKIE!!!) and it got a little attention. After Coop worked his magic and the photo was passed around, it raised $300 additional dollars in about two days!

On the sheath, I made a Gent's EDC and sent it to be sold. They manager of the site said the sheath (that I made) was a drawback and not in keeping with the knife. It sat there for two months. I had Paul Long do his magic. When the email with picture of the sheath was sent out that this knife was for sale, a response was sent in less than five hours to buy the knife.

So I would say that the photo & the sheath do matter. The photo because in our HIGHLY EDUCATED country no one learns to picture things in their mind anymore (or even use it for that matter ) due to lack of reading skills. The sheath is the first thing most people see when they see a knife on a persons hip. If they see any part of the knife it's normally only about an inch or two of the handle sticking out.

As always, just one persons opinion,
Jim

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making, knives