MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 10-30-2001, 09:05 PM
Coop747

Knife Show protocals....?

Les,

Help me along. Is it at all customary or recommended or disapproved to offer a deposit on a knife to simply 'hold it' for part of the duration of a show?

With the temptation to buy something striking 'at the moment', would it be prudent to clamp it down until all choices have been assesed?

I realize this may have selfish motives, but I can't be the first one to want to be able to address this. What are the benefits and/or drawbacks?

Coop
Old 10-31-2001, 07:33 AM
Les Robertson

Hi Coop,

I thought you read my book?

Most shows these days, Friday is the day! Especially for the higher dollar knives. If you have the knife after Friday night, you are probably taking it home.

That being said, do not expect makers or dealers to take a deposit on a knife just for you to come by on Saturday and say "I found something better, can I have my money back!"

This is why you constantly have to do your homework. You should have a list of 4-8 knives you want to buy. Not put a deposit on.

Go to those makers tables and see if they have the knife.

I used to prioritize my buying. If I saw my #1 knife, I bought it immediately. Then would walk the show.

You "scratch that itch", purchase a knife you want for your collection and it keeps you from buying some bright shiny knife that 3 months from now you are looking to "dump".

Hope this helps.

Remember, take note cards and a pen. Even a camera to take pictures of possible future purchases. A knife show like this is a place you can get a years worth of research on the Internet done in 3 days. Plus you get to handle the knives.

I take both note cards and a tape recorder so I can make comments to myself as I walk the show. I still do my homework every show as well.

Old 10-31-2001, 11:00 AM
Dana Acker

Les, at a show like the Blade show or Guild show, what percentage of people do you think are there looking for something specific from a particular maker, and what percentage are there just because they like knives, and if they buy at all, will probably buy something that just strikes their fancy when they see it?

The reason I ask is that two years ago, I manned Daniel Winkler's table at the Blade show, and I would say he made the lion's share of his money in the first couple of hours of the show. The rest of Friday and most of Saturday the overwhelming amount of people just looked and asked questions, but sales were at best sporadic. However during the VIP hour and the first hour open to the general public on Friday, I was as busy as a dog in flea season. Those buyers asked no questions. They picked up what they wanted and laid their money or their plastic down, then moved on. I'm assuming (which is often dangerous) that the larger and more prestigious shows are like that probably because those shows feature bigger named artists, or artists whose work is more collectable. How about the Southeastern show in Winston Salem and similarly sized shows? Do the same dynamics apply--even to a degree?
Old 10-31-2001, 11:26 AM
JerryO13

The first day is it. sometines the first hour. At last years NY show, Darrel Ralph sold out in 45 minutes. Joe Kious, who was on my left sold out in 15 minutes.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:12 AM
Coop747

Les,

Are you kidding? I'm midway on round three of your read!

Deposits for 'hold' are different than deposits for upcoming work.You just gave me the answers I was looking for, anyway. I'll consider this as an Addendum to your chapter on Buying Skills.

As always, thanks!

Coop

(...who is always willing to ask a stupid question!) :

Tags
blade, knife, knives