MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 01-12-2002, 01:10 PM
Coop747

How does condition affect value?

Les (and others),

The title cuts right to the chase. Knives are, primarily, a functional instrument. Every maker, no matter who the end user might be, makes their knives with usability as a standard. Or so I would think.

Easily the majority of makers out there WANT their work to be used daily--and used hard. But there are some knives that simply are designed to be 'functional sculpture'. An 'Art' knife for example. (Some using knives, by their simple and profound design are 'Art' knives not by their embellishments, but by the simple and efficient usage of lines and curves.)

I have a chest FULL of unblemished knives that I don't intend on using. Unfortunately. Or is it fortunate?

Mint, new, never used, 'carried' but not sharpened, slightly used, scuffs on bolsters, used but never sharpened, used AND sharpened, etc. These are the terms we see regularly out there.

Any guidelines on perceived value lost with these tags? You get the idea. Thanks.

Coop
Old 01-14-2002, 08:49 AM
Les Robertson

Hi Coop,

Like anything, the better the condition the better the price.

Obviously there are exceptions. A knife could be knicked and dinged all over the knife. However, if it is the only known surviving pattern from say Scagel. It's condition will be somewhat overlooked because of it's pedigree.

Carried custom knives have a simple fix for about $50. You send it back to the maker and have them re-finish the knife. A definite advantage of custom knives.

This is not to say the maker can clean up a knife with a chip out of the blade. Although, they could make you a new blade.

A EDC knife with just pocket wear should not cause major concern of someone thinking about buying it.

However, most buyers want to beat you up pretty good on the price because it is "used". This is where the factory knife mentality kicks in. Small nick the knife loses 50% of it's value.

Unlike some of the people I have seen on different knife forums. Who seem to carry more gear daily then I did when I was on an extended field exercise.

You know the guys, 3 knives, a leatherman, flashlight, ASP Baton, compass, bandaids, etc.

Most of us only carry one knife. So decide on which knife or knives your going to carry. Then understand that those knives should you sell them, will bring a substantially reduced price. Then take your other knives and do as you have done. Store them seperately keeping them mint.

I have carried a Kit Carson folder daily for about the last 2 1/2 years (even got it through the metal detector on the cruise ship ). It's about time for Kit to tune it up. I don't expect to sell this knife, which is why I bought it in the first place. So the condition won't matter.

Yes, even us "ruthless" dealers have some knives we won't sell.

Tags
blade, knife, knives