MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 10-24-2001, 08:03 PM
Gary Mulkey

What's Hot?

Les,

I can't think of a better authority to ask so I'd like yours as well as everyone's opinion as to what's hot and what's not as far as types of knives. Have you noticed any trends so far this year?

Gary Mulkey

Old 10-25-2001, 06:25 PM
BOB28

Neck knives. And with this war we have going I would ave to say that fighters and combat type knives will start to get bigger sales.
Old 10-25-2001, 07:44 PM
Les Robertson

Hi Bob,

That would have been a good predicition a year ago!

Neck knives are currently on the decline, have been for most of the year.

Fighters are always in fashion and in demand. As are Bowies and Hunters.

These are staples of the custom knife market along with Tactical Folders and Damascus Folders.

It is not so much the knives as it is the materials.

Out:

440C, ATS-34, A-2, Brass, Nickel Silver, Jigged Bone

In:

420V, 440V, Talonite, Stellite, Modified D-2 and 3V, Titanium, Carbon Fiber (and unfortunatley Giraffe Bone).

As a maker if you are not learing to work the new steels, you are making a mistake.

If you are not Martin, Snody, Hartsfield, Piorek, no reason to make any type of Japanese tactical.

New makers, look at 4" Personal Defense Knives. Conentrate on Single Edge as they will be legal in most states.

420 or 440V, satin finish, black rag micarta or that sand paper type G-10.

Damascus folders under $695.00. Utilitzing, Damascus for both blades and bolsters. Titanium Frames with Pearl or Ivory scales. If you want to be in the the $595 range, Desert Ironwood and Stag.

Machettes or big camp knives. Modified D-2 or 3V for the steel, micarta for the handle. No leather sheaths for tactical type knives. Kydex lined Cordura nylon sheaths. Preferably the drop style SAS, with securing straps on the sheath.

Double Action Automatics.

Damascus Automatics under $1,800.00 (easier said than done).

Carbon Steel ABS type bowies and hunters.

Tacitcal Folders w/flippers.

I realize that most of you are thinking, well this is what you are selling. Very good...you are paying attention.

The reason I am selling the same things I am writing about here, is because my customer base is bigger than yours. My job is to talk to customers all day, every day.

As makers your job, is to make knives. Not talk with customers all day. Many makers find themselves in difficult situation. Many ask other makers what is selling. Guess what, they are in the same situation you are in. Why would they know more than you.

Remember, when you are talking to other makers on Sunday and they tell you what sold. That is what sold on that weekend, and guess what? That weeekend is OVER.

Knife magazines...4-6 months behind.

Trends that have already started, you are 6-18 months behind.

What this means is you have to plan 12-18 months in advance what you want to bring to major shows. Or for submission to the knife magazines.

The issue of Tactical Knives that comes out in early next February will feature 8 new Vanguard Fixed blades. The first prototype of this series was delivered at the Blade Show...2000 !

This past January I started work on the a New Type of Vanguard Venture that will feature 5 knives. This project has already been picked up by a knife magazine and will probably be in that magazine next June or July.

I currently have 8 new Vanguard folders being worked on. These will be in a magazine August/Sept time frame next year.

As of July this year, I started the project for the next group of Vanguard Tactical Fixed Blades. These should be available this time next year, maybe a little later.

Point is to all this. Planning, Planning, Planning. 4 major projects, all featuring world class makers, Limited editions, new designs and the latest materials. Three of these have already been given the nod for inclusion into knife magazines. Wouldn't surprise me to see the 4th series find its way into a early 2003 (thats right 2003) issue.

This is what collectors want! For makers to show initiative. To come up with new designs, original designs. Contract your comfort zone and try new things.

Don't follow a trend....Be the next trend!

Old 10-25-2001, 09:06 PM
Rob Simonich

Trends

Les, AMEN!
Old 10-26-2001, 03:52 PM
Gary Mulkey

Thanks Les. I knew that I asked the right man.

Gary
Old 11-02-2001, 04:27 PM
BOB28

Hi Les! Don't you know us guys here in the sticks are a year behind on everything? : :
Old 11-15-2001, 08:53 AM
davebolton

CPM steels, neck knives, new blade materials ie. stellite etc
Old 11-15-2001, 11:43 AM
JerryO13

Dave, I have to disagree neck knives are already old news. With the world in the turmoil it is, i see upturns in purchases of Bowies and fighters. Hunters are also on the way up as well as small fixed blades. Blades larger than neck knives but smaller than fighters figure sizes in the 3" - 4" range. I think I see an increase in Custom Kitchen knives as well. Latest materials are always in demand. stellite, talonite, CPM's, modified D2, X15. More European steels making inroads into the US. More stainless damascus, more people looking into forged fixed blades.
Old 11-16-2001, 06:09 AM
jar

From the buyers point of view.

When I consider the current environment I don't really think about buying a custom knife as a reaction to terrorism or in light of potential civil disobedience. If I'm going to change what I carry for those reasons, I would probably add my Cattaraugus 225Q to the Emerson CQC7 that I normally have in my left hip pocket. It's a fine old SHTF weapon and virtually indestructable.

Most of my purchases of custom knives are, while functionally driven, most influenced by aesthetics. The knewest materials may get my attention, but if it's an ugly knife or feels just not right, I won't buy it. My two most recent purchases were both 440c. May be passe, but it still works. JMHO
Old 01-08-2002, 04:12 PM
Roger Gregory

I love these threads, I always learn more.

Les, keep up the pressure, I am impressed that you always take the time to set out your views, we never see a one-sentence post from you when there's something important to be said.

RW, I like the look of that knife and like Les I want to see your website if you have one. I want to see these carbon steel knives too.

Roger
Old 01-21-2002, 09:24 AM
helmar4578

RW----Point well made. My best on your becoming that next "X" ! Sandy
Old 01-21-2002, 11:01 AM
jar

Ron, I think the hardest part is getting a good product in front of a discriminating market.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:06 PM
AbelKnives

as Napoleon Hill put it: "whatever the mind of man can concieve and believe, the hand of man can achieve."
if you want to be an "X" maker all it takes is hard work.

Old 01-26-2002, 07:31 AM
jar

Re: Becoming X maker

I wonder if there are not several different types of collectors? I know that just as in many things, there are a few people out there (few being a relative term) with a large amount of disposable income that are also knife collectors. These people approach collecting knives much as they would collecting paintings. They seak the opinions of others, magazines and news articles, recent sales prices, auction valuations, comparable sales prices. Their collections are another form of wealth, another form of conspicuous consumption.

Then there are collectors like me. I'm a collector by virtue of having more knives than I can carry at one time. I have NO disposable income. Every purchase must be offset by a non-purchase. I look for a knife that really strikes my fancy. When I have an idea for a particular knife, a vision of something that I really want, I first search for those knifemakers who have made something similar. I then contact them and see if they think they could make what I want within a budget that I can afford. Often, they can't, but I have never received a rude or impolite response from any knifemaker except one (needless to say, I will not buy from that one regardless of my ability to do so). Usually, one or more can do it. Some times this requires a compromise on my part, but in all cases the result has been a knife that I love and one that I am proud of.

I'm willing to bet that there are far more Collectors like me than there are of the former. While I can admire and enjoy a Picasso, I'm unlikely to ever own one. And guess what? I seldom lose a nights sleep over it.

We all strive to be the best that we can possible be. And we all appreciate it when our peers recognize and affirm our efforts. When I buy one of RW's knives, I'm adding to his income, but I'm also acknowledging his creation and talent. This is a large world and there are a lot, a whole lot, of collectors because they have more knives than they can carry at one time (henceforth to be known as CBTHMKTTCCAOT )
Old 01-26-2002, 10:48 AM
Les Robertson

X Maker

RW,

I used Coke and Pepsi as an example of leaders in a particular market. As we are discussing you in the Japanese Tactical market. You better check your source about Coke and Pepsi. They dominate about 80% of the Cola market.

Yes, I know who Bud Lang is. Congratulations on getting an article. You have been making knives since 1990 and this is your first article? My opinons and exclusive knives have been featured in 18 different articles (including a cover) in the last 4 years. That is 54 different knives published in 48 months.

Oh, and that book I wrote on how to buy custom knives.

BTW, Bruce Voyles, Im sure you know who he is. Has asked me to write an article of Knives Illustrated on, you guessed it, how to buy custom knives.

RW, there is no reason to continue matching you fact for fact. Suffice to say, I can...and then some.

When it comes to trends we seem to have a different philosopy. You like to follow them. I create them.

RW, best of luck to you on your project.

Jar,

I found your quote interesting:

"I know that just as in many things, there are a few people out there (few being a relative term) with a large amount of disposable income that are also knife collectors.These people approach collecting knives much as they would collecting paintings. They seak the opinions of others, magazines and news articles, recent sales prices, auction valuations, comparable sales prices. "

Jar, if people with large amounts of disposable income take the time and effort to learn all they can about a knife or a maker or both. Then wouldn't it make sense for someone by their own admission who has "no disposable income" to consider their purchases even more?

You sound like you are more of the accumulater type. One who buys things, not because there is a reason for the purchase. But because they just like it, or want to have something like it.

When I conducted a seminar at the Blade Show last year. There were several accumulater's in the audience.

They bought knives on a whim. They too claimed they had no diposable income. Then they would tell me how they had 22 factory knives, 14 custom knives, 3 multi-tools.

I sat down with one of these guys after the seminar. He had spent almost $6,000 of his non-disposable income on knives. If he were to sell all of them, he would have been lucky to get $1,500 for the knives.

That is a loss of $4,500! For a guy with no disposable he sure diposed of it.

Point is, for those with no disposable income, it is even more important to do your homework when considering buying a custom knife.

As with most things, the cheapest way is not always the best way.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives