MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 04-05-2002, 03:06 PM
Roger Gregory

Re: Removable scales / handle?

Looks like your post disappeared into the ether Terry. I have been looking in on this thread every few hours and didn't see anything.

This is a very interesting thread, good to see someone like Joss opening up the process of specifying a custom knife, seeing input from a few makers and then Les gets to do something other than defend himself against allegations of being Kenneth Lay's teacher

For what it is worth, here is my opinion of the screws issue; screws do one of two things:
1. They corrode, bind and cannot be undone without treatment.
2. They come loose when you don't want them to.

Roger
Old 04-05-2002, 05:43 PM
Les Robertson

Terry,

Didnt you see my "Smiley" face when I removed your post.

It looked like this

I just didn't want to get into another urination contest about Mokume and Jigged Bone.

We could have used your post on the Mega Mokume thread on the collecting forum!

Terry if my removal of your thread bothered you, I apologize.

Old 04-10-2002, 07:38 AM
PhilL0496

This is a great thread and I sure don't want to sidetrack it, but I just wanted to say to Joss that I'm very envious of you and Rob Brown knife. From the first time I saw Rob's website he went on my short list of makers I want a knife from.
www.robbrownknives.co.za/default.asp
I've commissioned several knives and have others in the works. After I decide on a style of knife and a maker I tend to leave it up to them as to what steel and techniques to use in making the knife. I usually send the stag I want used on the knife. I admit that after listening to Les I do consider the resale potential of a knife, even though it is not my plan to sell any of my collection.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:44 PM
CWKnifeman

As a knifemaker , scrimmer, and engraver I have several comments:
1. If damascus is to be the steel then go with a Nickle-Silver mounts, or Mocume of N.S. and Red Brass. The later combination when done and polished will give the apparance of 14K gold and N.S. pattern then use 14K pins fore and aft (this can be done even on a hidden tang) adding more to the completed knife.
2. Scrim can be done on either of the Ivory types mentioned but walrus ivory is a bit harder to scrim due to it's density. Another problem with walrus ivory is the center core or cork as it is called due to it's apperance, you need to be very selective as to the cutting of the ivory for the handle so as not to get into the core which can be very hard to scrim.
3. If scales are to be used then they probably should be partially stabilized (soft stabilization) this can be done with a wood sealer like Thompson's or a good quality sanding sealer, ( not with Varathane, Poly, or MMC as this can cause problems (a. to brittle, and b. hard to hold color for the scrim). Soft stabilization will still be able to be scrimmed and will not move as much with pressure changes as no stabilization at all.
Just my two cents worth
Curtis M. Wilson

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, knife, knives