MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 04-30-2002, 09:11 PM
BrianT35

Selling knives Question

Les

I have expanded my blacksmithing hobby to knife making. I have only made a handful of knives (less than 10), and have been thinking about selling a few. Should someone with such little experience even be considering selling knives? Also, I do not intend on making this a bussiness, just a hobby. Prior posts that suggest the possibilities of being sued scare me though. I give my best efforts in the work that I do and I have included a link to show one of the knives that I made.

Any advice on selling knives for a hobby knife maker would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Brian
Old 05-01-2002, 05:39 AM
P MOORE

Brian;
I just took a look at your knife. I don't think you would have ANY problem selling your knives. Great job!! Who did the engraving? Just make sure the person who buys your knives is smart enough to use them. Paul
Old 05-01-2002, 07:03 PM
BrianT35

Thanks P Moore.

I did the engraving myself. I guess I am more concerned about the quality of the blade as I heat treated it myself.

Brian
Old 05-01-2002, 08:46 PM
BCB27

Brian,

The knife looks good. As for performance, the only way to tell is to test it out. I think there is a testing tutorial in the Tutorial section of this site. If not, let us know and we'll give you some recommendations.

Brett
Old 05-01-2002, 10:23 PM
Les Robertson

Hi Brian,

No matter who the maker is/was, at one time they had only made 10 knives.

I have known quite a few "hobbyist" who became professional custom knife people (to include yours truly). I became a dealer simply as an excuse to write some of my expenses off of my taxes. This is the money I told my wife I was spending on knives.

It was either give it to Uncle Sugar or some much more deserving custom knife makers.

So yes, you should try and sell some of your knives. Even if you just got your material costs back, you would be way ahead.

The reality of producing anything, is that it takes money to do it.

Try and price your knives fairly. Remember, at this point you are selling "mistakes". It's not often you get "paid to go to school".

Old 05-02-2002, 09:23 AM
P MOORE

Well said Les. I have only seriously been at this for about 8 months and I can see a great improvment in the knives I make. At least for now I sell my knivesfor enough money to keep this hobby/addiction going. Heck, I never made a dime fishing: Paul
Old 05-02-2002, 01:05 PM
Raymond Richard

Thats a fine looking knife...
What did you hear about getting sued? If it has to do with a person getting hurt using a knife. Maybe if its faulty and it causes an unnesessary injury, but I would think if a person cuts themself with it, wouldn't it be their fault. I'm no lawyer, has anybody got any real knowledge on this....Ray
Old 05-02-2002, 07:15 PM
BrianT35

Ray

I got the thoughts about being sued from threads on this forum. The recomendations were to create a bussiness so if you were sued, you would not be sued, just your corp.

Brian

Old 05-02-2002, 08:27 PM
Les Robertson

Guys,

Don't get too wrapped about the "being sued" issue.

Due to the very nature of a knife, it is inheriently dangerous.

If you don't want to be sued, than put an "idiot" (warning) label on each knife. Something like "utilizing this sharp instrument in any way except it's intended way, may result in bodily injury".

Or "DO NOT TOUCH EDGE, IT IS SHARP AND WILL CUT YOU".

Things like that. Any decent lawyer can give you the "Phrase that Pays".

Remember in court many jurys and judges apply the "every man" test. Example, would the average adult know that a knife is sharp? Would they know that running the edge along your body could cause injury? Would they know if you stab someone with this instrument will it cause bodily injury to the person being stabbed.

Things like that.

Also, Incorpartion will remove your personal liability but not corporate liability.

If it is a real concern for you, get the stickers printed up.

Old 05-17-2002, 11:16 PM
jantzsupply

All I can say is "WOW" ! We at Jantz Supply have been amazed for years what our customers do with a little wood and steel. They come in, buy a bag of really crude materials and come back a few days later with a piece of art! Some engrave as you have to make it really special, some carve, some inlay, some just have a talent of putting materials together with spacers and shapes to create an effect of beauty. YES, YES, YES, you can sell your knives if you wish. As to their usability, as others have said, let them know what they are buying (they may be buying the first from a future famous knifemaker) and ask for their feedback as to how it holds an edge, what they have done with it (skinned a moose?} or any other comments they may have. Again, be fair about the price, but be sure you get enough to cover your next project. Many of our customers report that they sell their knives just by showing them at their regular jobs, or to a friend. Everyone owns and uses a knife. I wouldn't let the "I'm going to sue you" thing stop me. If you are going to be sued, it will probably more likely be by a "friend" who slips on your front step when he drops by uninvited. No one is immuned to this legal fever, but living in fear is worse than the actual event. By the way, a note on the item may indicate to some lawyers that you sold an item knowing it to be dangerous!!! You just can't win - So why worry? Good luck with your knifemaking, looks to us that your hobby could become a second business quite easily.
Old 05-18-2002, 06:01 AM
Don Cowles

Jantzsupply, we are glad to have you on board, and value your input on the forums. Got my first Burr King from you folks!

Since all the rest of us are individuals (rather than companies), why don't you modify your profile to let us know who we are conversing with?
Old 05-23-2002, 11:26 PM
jantzsupply

We appreciate your wanting to know us personally, We at Jantz are a team and several have a hand in working with internet "stuff" Terri is our main internet customer service person, If you place an order on our website or email us she will most likely be the one to answer your question. If she doesn't know she will find out to the best of her ability. Kenda is our Sales Manager, she often posts to internet sites of interest to knifemakers, and is in charge of seeing that your order is shipped correctly and promptly. Brett is our technical person and Manufacturing Manager, he is on the internet about as much as Terri. But to answer your question directly, Venice found this site and I am the one who has posted comments so far. I am in charge of our printed catalog (the next issue should be ready in about 4 weeks) Lots of new items and 8 color pages that will show pictures of our handle materials! We plan to open a forum in the near future that We hope will be informative and helpful to all.

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives