MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 06-12-2002, 07:48 AM
Les Robertson

Trends in Custom Knives

These are some of the things that were discussed in the seminar.

Probably the biggest trend right now is "Contraction".

Probably the biggest misconception is that customers have slowed down buying knives....they haven't, things have just contracted.

By contraction I mean that many collectors have shifted to the more well known makers and/or makers who are proviging ample quality for the money.

As I have written many times, the aftermarket is where you find out if you did your homework or not. You can look at the numerous for sale forums on the internet and it shows you two things.

1) There are lots of knives for sale right now.

2) There are lots of knives from makers who were very hot just a few years ago.

The Internet and reality!

What you read on many of these forums is not the reality of the total custom market.

I have found that most of the forums are dominated by 20-30 contributors. Many of whom will get hot for the same maker at the same time. Then post who exceptional the knife and/or the maker is. This is not to say this is not true.

So when collectors write reviews it can be "skewed" as to who is currently the "flavor of the month".

I read many reviews of how "Awesome" the Blade Show was....Best Ever. I talked to many makers and dealers who had their worst Blade Show ever. I also talked to many makers and dealers who had their best Blade Show ever.

Personally, I had (sales wise) the second best Blade Show I ever had. My sales were up 140% from last year. I have spent several hours analyzing this as to why sales were up so much. One thing I do know is that my sales have been up between 25% and 140% at shows this year. I think I have figured out why.

For those of you who don't attend shows regularly. I will tell you this. Every show I have ever gone to some makers have sold out, some did pretty good, some sold only a few knives and other sold nothing.

This is directly do to makers understanding the market and what the collectors/buyers want. I

I was amazed at the Blade Show that there were a large group of non-ABS makers who showed up with not one single knife made from S30V.
Another trend is that Show Attendance...that is to say setting up at the show is having a major impact on sales and orders.

The makers and dealers who are utilizing that Tri-fecta of marketing 1) Have a web site, 2) are setting up at shows and 3) Advertsing in magazines are experiencing strong sales.

Advertising in magazines keeps your name out there for those who do not have access to the Internet. A web site allows those to research particular knives or a group of particular makers. A maker or dealer not having a web site remove themselves from contention for that sale right from the start.

Show attendance seems to way up, at least at the shows I have attended this year. Which means collectors have done a lot of research and now want to see the knives in person.

Again, if your not set up at shows, you are reducing your chances for selling off the Internet and have all but guaranteed selling anything at the show.

I get asked all the time why so many Internet dealers come to the show, but don't set up? Everybody had a business strategy as to why they do certain things. My answer is to ask the person directly.

I don't set up at the Guild Show. Primarly because it is the only show I go to that I don't have a table. So I allow myself the luxury of walking the biggest custom knife show in the world. This gives me the opportunity to talk face to face with a lot of makers I do business with. As well as to meet some I would like to do business with.

Also, because of the incredibly competitive nature of the show its self it generaly is not a "great" show for dealers to sell at. However, you can get some great trades and there are obviously lots of knives to buy!

Another trend, although this one had been ongoing for several years. Collectors are getting more and more knowledgeable every year. As such the collectors are ultimately "culling the heard" of sub-standard makers and even a few dealers every year. Sub-standard refers not only to their work, but to their work ethic, interpersonal skills and integrity.

My comment to those attending the seminar was Makers, Dealers and Magazines do not make the trends...it is those of you sitting in this room who do.

Ultimately, all of us on the business side of custom knives answer to the buyer.

Old 06-12-2002, 02:33 PM
whv1

as always, Les, good info. and, as always, stay innovative and stay visible to the market
thanks
Old 06-14-2002, 10:00 AM
Master

Thanks Les. What you say makes perfect sense to me. Marketing skills are required if you want to be successful in business. This is the case with knifemakers just like it is with any other business.

Old 06-14-2002, 05:08 PM
Founding Member *SysAdmin*

Les, what portion of your customer base is non-internet folks who only know you through magazines or shows? Are they as quick on trends and steel selection as the web people are?

I continually sees products or makers get hyped or trashed on the various knife forums and I wonder if that really has an impact yet.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

"Kind-hearted people might think there was some ingenious way to disarm or defeat an enemy without too much blood. This is a fallacy." - Carl von Clausewitz
Old 06-14-2002, 11:02 PM

Re: Trends in Custom Knives

Quote:
Originally posted by Les Robertson

The makers and dealers who are utilizing that Tri-fecta of marketing 1) Have a web site, 2) are setting up at shows and 3) Advertsing in magazines are experiencing strong sales.
Les' observation is so "on the mark" that I was inspired to register instead of just lurking. I am strictly on the consumer end of the knife business and relatively new to the world of custom knives. I doubt if my behavior is unusual: if I see a magazine ad that looks interesting, I check to see if the maker has a web site; if the maker has a web site and I like what I see, I look to see if that maker's going to be at a show that I'll be attending; if the maker's at that show, I make a point of visiting his/her table to check out the knives in person.

No print ad and I may never find your web site; no web site and I may well have spent my money long before I find your table at a show.

Old 07-06-2002, 07:44 PM

Exclamation

Hey Fellas,

Mr. Les almost wrapped the whole knife business up into one big ball. Making knives is the easy and fun part. The test of a maker comes when it is time to sell his or her products. The knife market right now is flooded with work and knife makers are having to offer better quality for less money. Which is good for the knife buyer. I have found to expand my business past just the "knife realm" and go for "fresh meat" in other areas. To me its not about the money its about the people you get to meet.

Chris Bowles
www.bowlesknives.com

Tags
blade, knife, knives