MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 10-31-2002, 09:36 AM
Guru

Folder Insight

Les,

This being the first year that I have built folders, I haven't gotten a track record yet but would appreciate your insight. What are the hot trends now in folders as far as style, shape of blades, size, lock type, handle material, etc.?

Gary
Old 01-24-2003, 09:03 AM

Hi Gary,

Hot trends in folders right now:

1) Frame Locks

2) Fancy Curves

3) Overlays/Cut outs

4) Nice wood scales (no not that cheap spalted maple crap or those odd color stablized woods).

5) Flippers

6) S30V. However, the finish on the blade leaves something to be desired. Most makers can get them to about 400 Grit. This is why you see most of these blades bead blasted.

7) Look for words like "Machine or Working" satin finish to be used in the future with S30V.

8) Covert release mechanisms on D/A folders.

Most of these have been used by a few makers for some time now. Many of these were incorporated into my Vanguard series last year. However, it generallly takes 12-18 months before a lot of makers will utilize some of these.

For some makers it's as simple as I'm going to use up all my ATS-34 before I switch to S30V.

Plus those of us who have been around awhile know that the custom knife business is very cyclical. As such, trends and fads move in and out all the time.

The problem comes in figuring out if a trend or fad is going to become something that becomes a "style" or emerges as the newest market.

Often it's worth the risk to become a force in a new market than to be a lesser known maker in an established market.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 01-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Skilled

Trends

Trends are good, but it seems that they are on a cycle like clothes. Blue jeans and t-shirts are always around.

With that being said:
I see many makers still working on slip-joints and other "tried and proven" fixed blade patterns, but very few are working on lock-backs. Are lock-backs one of those "tried and proven" or are they heading out the door?

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so
that you may not be dependent on anybody.
1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
Old 01-26-2003, 10:31 AM

Hi Mike,

You are correct, custom knives do tend to follow "cycles".

There are more makers building slip joints and multi-blades. This is causing the price to come down. As such it is bringing newer collectors into that market.

I have bought some of the multi-blades myself from Joel Chamblin and Rick Nowland.

Lock backs are all but dead and buried. There will always be a few who build them and there will always be a few who buy them.

They are no longer main stream. More to the point the new makers aren't building them and even more important the new collectors aren't buying them.

This is not to say that a maker cannot build anything they want and try to create a new market or revive one that is almost dead. The question becomes how much time, energy and money are you willing to put into it

Old 01-26-2003, 12:20 PM

Too bad about the correct assessment of lockbacks. I just happen to like how they operate, and the 'feel' of the lock when engaging is very distinct and gratifying.

They aren't easy to build either. Probably another reason for the lack of popularity. There are some notables who specialize in this style, but they aren't that prevalent: Charlie Dake, Barry Davis, Whisker's Allen, and, of course, Ron Lake's tail-lock style. Probably lot's more too.

I agree they are old-school. Hopefully they'll come around again someday.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-26-2003, 12:47 PM

Hi Coop,

When lockbacks became popular, they were utilized by those used to closing a knife with two hands. As most good slip joints require.

However, with the advent of the one hand closer, lock back's basically became obsolete.

Maker's utilizing older style and technologies is a perfect example of them "hitting a plateau". Not incorporating newer styles, materials, etc. is what keeps them from remaining competitive.

Charlie is a good example. Single action, lock back auto's. There was a time that this was a hot market. This is no longer the case. While Charlie offered his knives at very competitive prices years ago. Today these same knives will not compete favorably with a D/A Damascus and Ivory liner lock from Larry Chew. Include Larry's newest covert release mechanism and the Dake is now a distant second.

This does not mean that when the knives came out they were not a very hot commodity. However, I can remember when 8-Tracks were all the rage too!

Coop as for ease of construction. Bob Neal has Kaj Embretsen's only liner lock. Kaj said he would never build another because they were too hard to make!

I have to think with todays percision technology that the lock bars could be precision ground and be adapted to more of a "drop in" type piece.

Remember a lot of makers don't like to change things around. As it's tough to get those "jigs" built just right.

Other Lock Back masters:

Steve Hoel
Jack Busfield
Rick Genovese
Frank Centofante
W.D. Pease
Warren Osborne
Jess Horn
Wayne Valachovic
HH Frank

Im with you, Im sure there are hundreds of others who mastered this lock system.

Old 01-26-2003, 03:36 PM

The lock back is dead! Long live the lock back...

Good post Les, thanks!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-26-2003, 09:37 PM

Deleted Post

Hi Mark,

Sorry I had to delete your post. You were speaking of factory knives.

As you know this is the CUSTOM KNIFE DIRECTORY.

My comments are about CUSTOM KNIVES.

Would love to hear any of your comments about CUSTOM KNIVES.

While it's true on occasion that factory knives do sneak into the fourms here.

That does not happen on my forum.

I look forward to future posts from you about CUSTOM KNIVES.

Old 01-28-2003, 09:09 AM
Guru

Les,

Thanks for your insight. You hit home in that all that I have been building are lockbacks. I have been hoping that I can fill a need with them by using a working finish with S30V (all that I use) and keeping the price low enough ($150-190 range) to make them users. What better advertising than to have your knives in a man's pocket when it comes to bragging time with your buddies.

I know that many people want a one handed knife and for that reason prefer liner locks. It seems that the faster they can snap open a blade the more it feeds their ego. Maybe that's why tactical folders are hot. What do you think of the idea of using a one-armed trapper type blade to overcome the two handed function of a lock back?

I have spend quite a bit of time recently in developing my own bolster release system for the lockback frame and hope to have some done for the upcoming Arkansas Show. Maybe I can resurrect(sp?) a dinosaur. Most of the lockback autos that I see use a scale release. Is that the norm or am I not seeing the bolster type releases?

Once again, I appreciate your expertice.

Gary

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives