MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 08-17-2002, 10:29 PM
Enthusiast

Expectations at the knife show

As a table holder, the crowd is there and you can't see the other side of the venue, and there is no sign of a lunch break. As a table holder what are the items that stand out from your show experiences, that made the event special. And will have you wanting to return next year?

Thanks
Jeff Pelz
Old 08-18-2002, 12:32 PM

Hi Jeff,

Are you going to set up at a show?

Expectations:

First and foremost to make money. Before you jump on me, remember, we are talking "my" side of the table.

Second, talking knives. 2-3 days of talking knives, I love it.

Third, seeing old friends in person.

Fourth, seeing what people bring to the show for sale or trade. Trading can be more fun than buying a knife.

Jeff, Lunch is generally not part of the days schedule. So make sure you eat a sizeable breakfeast.

Because of the amount of talking I do at a show, I find I am ususally looking for something to drink instead of something to eat.

Which show are you setting up at?

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 08-18-2002, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast

Les,

Thank you for the info. I helped with details for the show last year and even more details year. Most of the large details have been completed. But I am trying to think, where might be the small projects or items that get missed, or over looked at a show?
I spoke with table holders from the previous year and asked, what would make the show better for you. I receved some great idea's, with table layout and venue services, food and drink. Knife judging will be early in the morning on the first day of the show.
But sense I am not a knife maker or purveyor, the show committee might be able to provide other, services or help
to the tableholders and show patrons.

Best regard,
Jeff Pelz
Old 08-18-2002, 06:28 PM

Hi Jeff,

Ok, I see what your getting at now.

I have to say Tommy McNabb and the NC Guild who put on the Southeastern Custom Knife Show do a great job in taking care of their table holders.

They have a hospitality room in the show for table holders. The ladies who bake the food and run it do an outstanding job.

You can get something in the morning before the show, and soft drinks all day.

Then on Saturday night they have a dinner for all the table holders. This is when they give away the awards and door prizes.

Having promoted a couple of shows, I realize it is difficult to do this at the large shows.

Although the SECK Show is not small (right around 100 tables).

On top of that Dexter Ewing has taken it upon himself to put together a dinner on Friday night.

This dinner is for dealers, makers and collectors a like. It is a great environment to meet new people and see some knives that you might miss at the show.

Another Show is the MT. Vernon Knife SHow in Mt. Vernon Illinois. Larry Hancock and his crew have been putting this show on for 20 years. While it is not specifically a custom knife show. There have been more years than not that there were more custom table holders than factory table holders.

They too have a dinner on Saturday night. The show has turned into more of a gathering of friends than a knife show. The tables are only $65.00 and the crowd varies from year to year.

It's been a long time since I set up at the show. But I can remember having some very good shows there.

Jeff, if you are taking care of your table holders...you can't go wrong.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 08-18-2002, 09:38 PM
Guru

Jeff, I haven't been to many shows but I have always had a problem with table layout.I know the people setting up the show are looking for the maximum amount of tables in the room and should be but it always is tight for the sellers.I have never been to a show that gave a decent amount of room to the tableholders.As far as food and drinks I usually bring my own.But I would let Dexter buy my beer and a dinner,ya listening Dex.
All in all my show experiences have been great,mostly because of such good company.Dave

Tags
knife, knives