MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 07-11-2002, 09:08 PM
Steel Addict

Table Setup

I'm preparing for my first show, a local gun and knife show, what do you like to see on a maker's table besides knives?

I'm thinking the following
- business cards
- a small flyer with pics and a little about me and my knives

What do you recommend for a table cover, number of knives on a table (no more than X)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Will
Old 07-12-2002, 08:37 PM

I know some people don't price their knives, I do. I want someone to know up front before they even pick up a piece what the price will be. no doubt. I do a candy dish like a lot of other folks do. nothing sticky, just some hard candy. One thing that I have tried in the past that I got away from is stands for knives. I think some people are intimidated by them, scared they'll fumble the knife or drop it, so it sits there. I encourage them to pick it up by making it as easy on them as I can. Wipe them often! I keep a photo album too. If I think of more, I'll post again. l8r.

http://www.howellbladesmith.com
Old 07-13-2002, 12:53 PM
Guru

Hi Will,

I think the best thing you can bring to your display table is the "right attitude". As I cruise a show, when time permits away from my table, I pay attention to what's happening around various tables. The exhibitors that have no traffic usually are the ones' sitting there like "dour monks"! The makers that are engaging and enthusiastic about their work.. are the tables that seem to draw the crowd. It can be exhausting at times to keep that energy level up but it pays off in spades in the long run. A good product, clean table, etc., are essential also but a positive approach towards your customers is the foundation for success.
After all, YOU are the product.

Good luck and success, Tim
Old 07-13-2002, 07:12 PM
Skilled

I recieved alot of advice here for my first show in may.

I've got to second what Tim said. Your selling your self, your knives are second. Smile and speak to everyone, don't forget the wives that are with the men, they may be your customer.
I had and elavated stand made out of the trifold foam presentation board. It was set at about 40 degrees, not very high, but got them off the table so people didn't have to stand over them to see them.
I encouraged everyone to pick up my product. Nothing turns me off more than wanting to look closely at something and being told I'm not worthy to touch.
I made sure I had a brochure available. I've made several knives since because of them.
A photo album or screen saver with your knives.

These Ideas I got here. They helped me do alot better than most of the folks at that show....
Hope this helps.

Steve
Double S Custom

Fear causes hesitation, hesitation will cause your greatest fear to come true.

Old 07-13-2002, 08:25 PM
Guru

Will , I think a nice table looks more professional.I owe most of my table setup to my very supportive wife.here is a list of some of the things she's done.

Made a table covering out of some nice material.
Had a laminated plastic sign with my name and address on it.
Used the same plastic material for knife tags( she uses a label maker to describe each knife with price and places them next to each knife.Afterwards you can peel off the label and use them for the next show)
Nice bowl with good hard candy( i have noticed though that makers eat more candy than customers though,LOL)
Business cards and photo album

Get a small plastic foldup table to set next to you for paperwork,sodas etc. to keep them off the table.

And most important is to interact with your customers.Nobody wants a knife from someone sitting behind a table reading a book and ignoring them( I' ve seen this).

Have fun, observe and you will see what works,Dave

Tags
forge, knife, knives