MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Master

Attending shows, How important?

Les, I have some health issues and it will be a stuggle for me to attend shows and I have a limited budget as well but will try to plan one. My question is, how important is it and which one is the best bang for the buck.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:26 PM

Hi Dan,

Sounds like the best course of action would be to build a web site. You can ask our very own Alex to help you with that.

Shows are great. The down side is, it does take a few years to establish yourself at that show and it's only 2-3 days a year. Where as a web site is 24/7/365

I would suggest you look for a custom knife show as close to you as possible. Preferably within driving distance.

A show like Blade is great to go to...but lots of competition.

Hope this helps.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 09-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Master

Les, I have a web site www.theknifemaker.com and I dont mind the competition. I am willing to make an investment, even If I dont sell one, will probably not have a lot to sell as most of what I make gets purchased quite quickly. I am not new to this as I have been making knives for 18 + yrs. I introduced Terry Primos to a belt grinder and the forge and helped get him started. He and I attended ABS meetings together. My point is, I am not a newbie. Will compare my knives to any junior smith and some mastersmiths. I really hate to toot my horn but I am not a bad bladesmith. Look at the d-guard I just posted (not a good photographer though). Which show will you think would be the best bang for the buck for exposure. Thats all I really want. And I really do hate to comment on my blades. My mom did teach me better than that, And I take critisicm for what it is. A veiw to improve. Thanks for your time and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Dan, the Arkansas show is within (long) driving distance for you, and with your forged blades, might be the best venue for you. It's also considerably less expensive than Blade.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 10-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Spirit of Steel isn't that far away from you either and it's all nice smooth interstate. I usually make that drive in less than 4 hours.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives