MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 06-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Living Legend

Damascus

Les,

Now that the excitement of Blade is dying down I have a question about damascus. I asked this over in Ed's forum and got a large amount of information from the make up of good damascus and quite a bit on those who sell it. I'm asking from a marketing point of view for those who grind. In a well done knife, what types and makes of damascus catch people? How does bluing fair in the market? Any styles that distract from the package? I'm not asking you to bash anyone on line, just some things in damascus that hurt it being used.

Again this is based on well done knives, not ones done sloppy with damascus just to raise the price.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-16-2005, 04:36 PM

Hi Jim,

I think Damascus like most embellishments with knives, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, I like the mosaic patterns and the multibar pattern. Of course for "old school" it is very tough to beat Jerry Rado's Turkish Pattern Damascus...wow.

Regardless of the pattern, it needs to be crisp and clean. I think Random pattern distracts from a knife, unless it is priced very well.

The biggest downside I see to Damascus right now is its price. I think that will change in the future, but right now Price Point is an important aspect of the overall market.

My recommendations for handle material is Ivory, Pearl, Stag and Tortise (in frame type handles). If possible try not to use wood.

My recommendation in using Damascus would be an 80/20 approach. 80% of your knives should have carbon steel and 20% should be Damascus. As you notice more orders for Damscus change your mix.

Hope this helps. See I didn't even have to bash anyone!

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 06-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Living Legend

Thanks for the reply,

Sorry Les, I just wanted to get some of the negative issues and make sure that I wasn't asking you to tell me that makers "X" damascus is worthless.

Unfortunately my mix will have to be 80/20, 80% stainless and 20% damascus .

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 06-19-2005, 06:20 PM

Hi Drac,

There aren't any negative issuses with Damascus per se. But every successful business has to understand it's market and subsequently what their "market mix" should be. Hence the 80% Carbon and 20% Damascus.

Obviously this will very with the maker and their position in the market.

Once you establish what the mix is for your business you can modify as market trends indicate.

Old 06-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Master

I like pattern welded steel very much. My preference is for multi-bar and random. In the past I always wanted my pattern welded blades to be high performance cutters, but since I have no intention of using the knives I now find that I really like blade that have a lot of nickel included. It gives a very dramatic effect that I have come to like very much.

I probably do purchase about 80% carbon, 20% pattern welded (I have one wootz as well).

Old 01-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to jace11229 Send a message via Yahoo to jace11229
Hi, I'm Jason(Jace),
Why not wood? Is that in reaction to a current market or a projection for an upcming trend? Thank You.
Be Well,
Jace
Old 01-29-2006, 10:17 AM

Hi Jason,

The trend of no wood for Damascus has been around for about 17 years (that I know of).

If you are going to use wood, why use a premium steel (damascus)?

Rule of thumb is premium steels should have premium handle materials. Wood is not considered a premium handle material.

Tags
blade, knife, knives