MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 08-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Skilled

Guys, something a little closer to watch for, I keep getting these emails from the security people at Citibank saying that they are concerned that someone is trying to illegally get inot my account, the email sent looks very legit. But it still did not smell right. So I called Citibank, they told me it's a scam if I had clicked on the links and verified my account they would have had a way to get in. a week later I got almost the same email except this time it was Bank of America, and I have never in my life had an account with them. So be careful.

the return address from the fake email was @citibank.com however, the real address should read @citicorp.com

take care!

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 08-16-2004, 06:10 PM

Hi Jerry,

It's called "phishing". Someone is also using a Pay Pal scam, EBay Scam. Also there is one from I think the IRS or some offical US Government agency. All are asking for bank account numbers, PIN numbers as well some are looking for email accounts and passwords.

Just delete them all.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 08-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Skilled

I'm an HTML kinda guy. When I get those "Please verify your account" emails, I look for the actual IP address in the message source- it's hidden in the email by a reference to citibank, corp or whatever.

Then I run a reverse DNS and notify the company that is supporting the web servers. Their contact email is usually abuse@xxxxxx.net. They shut 'em down pretty quick. However, some of them have no DNS entries and I don't know how to trace 'em down.

You can probably do the same thing if the sender is trying to contact you with a hotmail account by forwarding it to abuse@hotmail.com.

Steve

Old 12-07-2004, 01:54 PM
Registered

Send a message via Yahoo to kamkazmoto
Have him send the money via Western Union (available at any BII _ Bank Indonesia International) or via American Express wire transfer..Same as Western Union but cheaper. American Express is available at any Bank Danamon, both BII and Bank Danamon are widely available anywhere in Indonesia.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Steel Addict

Just opening the e mail can be dangerous specaily attachments they can install programs that search your hard drive for info or copy keystrokes etc. and you never know its there. BTW I won 2.5 mill in the UK lottery lol theres a goverment agency that you can report it to and they collaberate with law inforcement all over the world to catch these guys FDA or FDC sumthin like that.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Master

You might be thinking of the FTC Federal Trade Commission. You could report it to Interpol, but they are already swamped with this type of thing and catching International fugitives etc ;-)

Paul Vandine
Old 06-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Steel Addict

Heres the most recent bogus try to get my paypal password. i know its bogus two ways..look who its to , same as all the other scams use and the second reason I know its bogus....da paypal account is not in my name....they would be sending the notice to another if it was real.

From : service@paypal.com Save to Address Book | Block Sender

To : Undisclosed-recipients:;

Cc : recipient list not shown: ;

Subject : PayPal Account Security Measures

Date : 22 Jun 2005 21:09:32 -0000

Move message to...InboxJunk MailTrashformsstevesinsurancetax [ Printable Version ]

Dear Terry,

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your PayPal
account from a foreign IP address.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log
in attempts may have been initiated by you. However, if you did not
initiate the log ins, please visit PayPal as soon as possible to change
your password:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

Changing your password is a security measure that will ensure that you
are the only person with access to the account.

Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

Sincerely,
PayPal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be
answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the
'Help' link in the header of any page.

PayPal Email ID PP321
Old 06-23-2005, 07:03 AM
Skilled

I got the same false PayPal email. I went to the "real" PayPal site and there is info there on how to report it to them. They will investigate all reports.

Here is a quote from PayPal's site.

Ways to fight spoof

Report it. Forward the entire email - including the header information - or the site's URL to spoof@paypal.com We investigate every spoof reported. Please note that the automatic response you get from us may not address you by name.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Guru

I reported someone once. As soon as I reported them, paypal shut down my account because of reports of fraud, and made me FAX proof of who I was before they would let me use it again. I did everything right, as soon as I got the e-mail I saw it was a re-direct, I reported it, and they made me jump through hoops to keep using my account.

--Carl

Tags
knife, switchblade