MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 10-07-2001, 08:31 PM
mike

Best Quality Knives

who do you feel makes a best quality (in the english arms makers sense) forged knife.
Old 10-08-2001, 01:35 PM
Les Robertson

Best Forged Blade Makers

Hi Mike,

Im going to get myself in trouble here, because Im sure I will leave someone out.

ABS Master Smiths I would recommend are:

Jerry Fisk
Harvey Dean
Keith Kilby
Charlie Ochs
Tim Hancock
Roger Massey
Jim Crowell

There are seveal others I have forgot to mention. IT was not intentional.

A couple of ABS Journey Smiths I would look at are:

John Fitch
J W Randall

This is by no means a complete list. There are several guys (and Audra Draper) who do exceptional work.

Rick Dunkerly and Barry Galagher also come to mind. Al Dipold.

The longer I think the more makers come to mind.

It will be up to you to narrow your focus, as to what types of styles and materials you are looking for.

Jay Hendrickson and Mark Sentz. Can't forget Rob Hudson and Tim Zowada.

The list just keeps going.

Hope this helps.

Les
Old 10-09-2001, 07:28 AM
mike

Best Forged Blade Makers

It helps quite a bit. Thanks Les.
Old 10-09-2001, 03:45 PM
Neil Ostroff

Re: Best Forged Blade Makers

Hello Mike

In the ABS Journeman Smiths catagory I would also take a good look at MICHAEL VAGNINO- his folders are outstanding.

Take care,

Neil
Old 10-09-2001, 05:08 PM
primos

Since your inquiry is specific to quality in forged blades I would like to mention that having the status of a Journeyman or Mastersmith is not a prerequisite to producing a quality forged blade.

This statement is in no way meant to be a slur to the ABS. Everyone here should know by now that I am an active member and staunch supporter of the ABS. I "preach" good things about the ABS every chance I get, and have helped bring several folks into the fold even though they originally stated that they just weren't "joiners".

But from numerous conversations with knife enthusiasts through the years I have seen a broad misunderstanding that the status of Journeyman or Mastersmith is more or less automatically applied when one has reached that level of skill. I have heard people say things like, "He is such a good maker. How can he not be considered a Mastersmith?"

Applying and testing for Journeyman and Mastersmith status and the JS/MS stamp is an option available to the ABS members. The fact that a maker does not have that status does not mean that the maker produces a blade of lesser quality.

No, I'm not talking about me. I'm a lowly apprentice and have no delusions to the contrary. I know my own limitations. I have had my work critiqued by several of the Masters I look up to and by ABS Board members who have asked me when the heck I'm going to apply for my Journeyman's test. There have been times that I could kick myself for not applying as soon as I was eligible, but for now, and for personal reasons, those kind votes of confidence will have to suffice.

Admittedly, some of my personal favorite makers of the forged blade have applied, tested, passed, and been granted the status by the ABS. But understand, there are smiths with no official title, who are not part of any organization, who create blades of equal quality.

Now from a collectible/investment point of view things may be a little different. But quality is quality, period.

I'll come down off my soapbox now, and will probably later regret that I even posted this.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:49 PM
Jim Small

Terry
Well said.........
There are so many excellent knife crafters out there its hard to count....many who have no intention of wanting to belong to craft organizations or guilds. Their work rivals many of the top makers in style and quality. The most intresting thing is...most are accepted into the world of knifemaking without any preasure to be apart of the "joiners." I have many close friend that are members of guild and crafting organizations. I am in touch with many of these artists on a regular basis who never put any preasure on me to join......yet when we are together we exchange ideas and help each other to be our best. I have made the choice not to get involved for only one reason....politics. I was an early member of the Knifemakers Guild ( one of the first 20) and because of politics, made the choice not to maintain my membership....my choice. I feel that my decision has not affected the quality of my knives and certainly not my close contacts with the knifemaking world. New makers who come through my shop doors are encouraged to join and make their own choices as to their needs. So, what you have said it honest and true......
I continue to be honestly gratified at the quality of work seen on these pages.
Like you have said "Quality is Quality"....."because you are not a status member of an organization doesn't mean you are a maker of lesser quality". Well said......
Remember....we are brothers in a much larger organization.....
Thanks
Jim

Old 10-10-2001, 08:18 AM
Les Robertson

Best Forged Blade Makers

Hi Terry and Jim,

Well written commentary and 100% correct.

Where you stand on this is relative to your point of view.

When someone asks me "who is among the best". As a dealer I feel obliged to include those who are recognized by both collectors and their peers as some of the best.

Additionally, once knives go over $1,000 as most Damascus Bowies do. Collectors, while they may not say it outright. Are also looking for "Pride in Ownership and the possiblity of a Return on their investment. Yes, a knife over $1,000 is an investment.

It is important to have the potential for a return on ivestment. This helps the entire market. If the knives by Moran, Loveless and Scagle did not routinely bring $20,000 a knife and get sold in a fairly quick manner.

Many of the makers who today, get $5,000 per knife would not be getting that.

If they were not getting $5,000 a knife than many of those who get a $1,000 per knife would not be getting that as well.

Quality is a perception that is equal to your education about a particular item.

Les

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives