MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 09-24-2001, 05:05 PM
Mark Hazen

Les' Help

If any of you are ever in the market to learn just what people are looking for in a knife, and what the next trend will be, take a second and ask Les to look over your knives and give you his thoughts. Creative people (knife makers, wood workers, painters and the like) are usually not very receptive to criticism, but if you want to be a real player in this game, Les will be happy to give you advice. To be honest, I had heard both good and bad things about Les going over your knives. All kind of horror stories about makers getting all upset at what he had to say. He came by my table and I asked him if he would give me some advice on what I needed to do to take my knives to the next level. He was opinonated, but at the same time extremely professional. There is criticism and then there is corrective criticism. He could not have been any nicer. If I had not sold a single knife at that show, the lessons I recieved from Les were worth the entire weekend. I want to publicly thank him for his time, and say the man knows what he is talking about. I don't care how long a maker has been making knives, it pays big dividens to keep an open mind. Thanks, Les. Looking foward to seeing you again. Mark Hazen
Old 09-29-2001, 07:38 AM
David Dempsey

Mark,

Very well said. If your goal as a knifemaker is to continualy improve, and to strive for perfection, you have to be willing to listen and accept crticisim. I did the same thing at SECS asking Les for his opinion, and he was both very professional and direct. You have to consider the source when someone comments on your work, take it and learn something from it. One would have to be foolish, not to pay attention to an individual such as Les, with his knife industry expierence and business savy. I felt as you, that it was unselfish of Les and considerate of him to take the time, to evaluate my work. Les also tried to encourage me by telling me that a customer of mine at SECKS ask him to look at a piece that he had just purchased from me. He gave the gentleman his critique, and the person was satisfied. Les then told me that this had taken place. He then let me in on what he told the person, and then said to "keep up the good work". It was very motivating. Thank you Les for your time and knowledge, and Mark good post and I also enjoyed meeting you at the show.

David
Old 09-30-2001, 07:11 PM
Dana Acker

A lot of us had the good fortune of getting to talk with Les at the SECKS. Like I said in my post about his book, I learned from Les all the things I never learned when I was learning to make knives. Also it was good to meet both David and Mark and get to see and handle their knives. Cool guys and cool knives. Y'all drop over to the Neo-Tribal Outpost forum on CKD and say howdy sometime. Upwards and onwards, Gents.
Old 10-02-2001, 06:58 AM
Les Robertson

Guys,

Thank you for complimentary posts. One of the things I really enjoy about custom knives is the flow of information that surrounds us.

There are very few "secrets" in custom knives as both maker, dealers and collectors are more than willing to share their knowledge.

Makers, Dealers and collectors have done so with me over the last 18 years. My way of thanking them is to pass along what I know.

Im glad to read you found what I had to say helpful.

Old 11-06-2001, 08:10 AM
Coop747

Couldn't let this thread die without acknowledging what a VALUE it was going over knives, stories and info with Les at the NYC Custom Knife Show! Like a big bear , Les is imposing in stature, yet super-friendly and funny!

As you would expect, it was hard to get in a word with Les, as he was *always* talking with someone! But when I got my turn, not only did I get the info I wanted--he sold me a knife I NEEDED! I couldn't be happier!

Here's a pic of my new Butch Vallotton 'Espionage' D/A Vanguard folder to admire. Picked out especially for me from Les on his recomendation. MAn, you got to open and close this knife a few times to apreciate it. Hidden scale release for the SERIOUS grand opening.

Les--It's always a pleasure! Guys--hope you have the opportunity to work with Les in person someday soon, too!

Coop

Tags
knife, knives