MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 04-08-2002, 05:57 PM
aiiifish

First Show

I've got my first show coming up and was wondering.... whats a good number of knives to have on your table? I only have fixed blades. I don't want to have so many that people feel overwhelmed when they pass by, but I also want a good representation of my work. Any suggestions? Thanks
Steve
Double S Custom
Old 04-08-2002, 06:03 PM
Don Cowles

No more than a dozen, in my experience. When you're *real* famous, you can get by with 1 or 2 .

Old 04-08-2002, 06:20 PM
murrphy

well, if you bring more than a dozen and only put out a dozen at any one time, that can be bad because a person might buy a piece and later see another he prefers or learns of someone else buying a piece not originally available but purhcased by another collector and that can leave a bad taste in a collectors mouth.

If you bring the knife to the show, put it on the table. Heck, Ron Gaston will have 50+ knives on his table and seldom has problems in selling his knives.

I know that I don't have trouble looking at them.

If you have knives that you are "stretching" to include, leave them home.

Just the opinion of one collector.

Old 04-08-2002, 07:52 PM
Les Robertson

Hi Steve,

What is the show that you are attending?

Product mix may be the most important factor for a maker.

That is to say, show diversity. If you have 6 different styles of knives, then put out 6 knives. Especially if you have duplicates of the same knife. You should have your business cards, a photo album of knives not on the table (usually will help get you an extra order or two). Any magazine article(s) on your knives. Put the article in binder or something like that. Don't just throw the magazine on the table. Perhaps some kind of stand to put the knives at an angle on the table. Makes them easier to look at. Any and all of these things can be incorporated to make your table "full" and professional all at the same time.

I have found that this year in particular that having the right product mix on my table has really helped to improve sales at the shows I have been to this year.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 04-08-2002, 10:05 PM
aiiifish

Thanks for the replies and the advice. I've purchased a table at the Gulf Coast Custom Knifemakers Show. My biggest concern is a professional presentation. I don't want to look like the latest yahoo on the block trying to out do everyone. To be perfectly honest I'm not worried about selling any knives. I want to get my name and face out into the knife collecting public, and I want the critiques of the long term knife makers that will be there. (always on the quest for improvement) Any sales will be a bonus. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks guys.
Steve
Double S Custom
Old 04-09-2002, 12:40 AM
tim adlam

Steve, you're on the right track. Remember that you're not only selling your product but you are selling yourself. Put your best work forward and let it stand on it's own merit without props or gimmicks. Keep things simple and make it easy for people to do business with you. When someone compliments you on your work, don't make excuses why you didn't do this or that or whatever to that piece, accept the compliment with a "thank you" and why you liked working on that particular knife. Be as professional as you can or want to perceive yourself to be. Don't display unassembled work, unless you're a bladesmith. Educate the public on YOUR knives, not on how to make a knife. Take stock of how other exhibitors display their product. Is their display appealing, professional, etc.? Keep evolving your display and find what works for you. Try not to be intimidated by the big guns, EVERYONE had to start sometime, somewhere. Above everything, treat ALL persons that come to your table with the respect and consideration you expect from others. Sharing your " passion" for what you do is contagious to your customers. Don't be shy! Good luck, Tim Adlam, engraver/scrimshander
Old 04-09-2002, 06:26 AM
Coop747

All good info. Hey Murray, *maybe* you need to get as established as Ron Gaston to get away with such a large display. I dunno. I doubt Steve will have all that many anywho.

I always like browsing a maker's photo album of past projects. NEVER let a good knife leave without taking a shot for your records. This being said, if I was a maker, I would have a laptop in it's place with a running slideshow of these pics. It would take up the same space as a photoalbum anyway. More folks would visually browse this presentation than would they go through your album alone, I'm certain. Shop tours, different stages of build, pic's of your dog--they all qualify!

There is something captivating about a video presentation (can you say: 'TV commercials'? ), and it would stop them in their tracks for a look. Not sure if it's the best thing to do right now, but I think it should be considered in the future. Les must have seen others use this method at a large show. Any comments yay or nay?

Coop
Old 04-12-2002, 09:23 AM
aiiifish

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll let you know how it goes. I appriciate the help. Steve
Old 04-28-2002, 09:06 PM
aiiifish

Just back from my first show. I incorporated as much of the advice above as possible, unfortunately Mr. Murphy was with me all weekend [computer crapped out, customer screwed up the finnish on one of the knives ect.] Fortunately the display elavated about 45 deg. worked very well. I took 10 knives and came home with 4. sold a couple to other makers which was an ego boost.
The great thing was the people I met. Mel Pardue, James Hand, Paul Lebatard.
Alex Daniels, Ricky Fowler, Matt Lamey,Dennis Phillips, Jerome Anders all gave plenty of free advice, help, critiques and offers of help in the future. To those that left out, my apologies.

Thank you all for the advice on what to do at my first show. It helped me exceed my goals and really present a professional attitude and apperence.

Steve
Double S Custom

Tags
forge, knife, knives