MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Guru

Forging, first try

Well I forged for my first time today and had a ball! I ended up taking a rectangular bar and starting about halfway down the lenth tapering both sides to a point. I am going to have to do quite a bit of grinding to clean it up and finish it up as I left plenty of hammer marks etc. I didn't do much pounding on the handle side at all so I will be almost exclusively grindng there. But hey it's a start.

How do you go about forging in finger grooves, handle shape etc. If you started with a bar do you use a hot chisel or something to just cut off the main unwanted sections? Or do you pound those sections down. I am guessing that you pound but as I tried to do so the piece began to thicken and curve in that area. Then I would pound to straiten it back out and in the process undo much of the curve I was trying to pound in. I am sure the main key is to keep practicing but any hints any of you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2004, 08:02 AM

Watch for notices on hammer-ins in your neck of the woods. They pop up all the time. You'll find even a 3-4+ hour drive time to one the best investment you can make in advancing your bladesmithing skills.

Nobody is a "stranger" at these events! So don't be shy just be open and honest and you'll make some of the best friends you'll ever have.

One of the things that will amaze you is the caliber of talent that shows up at a hammer-in and how genuine the folks you meet are.

There are some excellent bladesmiths in your neck of the woods. Just keep your eyes open for the next event.

If you ever get to the Atlanta area for a visit look me up, I'm in the book. If I'm home my forge is usually hot.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-25-2004, 12:30 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
David, if you and Shane get in touch with some of the knifemakers in your area you could start a hammer in of your own in Utah. That way you would get to meet new friends and makers. As Crex said, the exchange of knowledge and the cameraderie is fantastic. You can invite leather craftsman, engravers, scrimschanders etc and have little mini-seminars as well. The Trackrock hammer/in is about to have it's fourth session in a few days and it has tripled its attendance. We have people come from Georgia, North Carolina Alabama. Ohio, Virginia, and other states. I am not a knifemaker, I dabble in leather, such as sheaths. and now most of my friends are knifemakers! I live about 4 miles from the location of the hammer/in and I invite groups of the attendees to spend time in my shop for tips on how to make their sheaths---I have a ball. Now you two get busy and let us see a posting on the FIRST ANNUAL hammer/in in the grand state of Utah---Sandy

Old 04-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Guru

Helmar you have got me thinking.......I think that is a good idea!! As I have never been to a large hammerin (Shane and I are having a 2 man mini one this Saturday and I can't wait ) I have a few questions:

1- For larger hammerins I am assuming that they have a few feature smiths and pay them to come and do demo's. How much is normally charged? I understand that this could vary greatly by individual smith but a normal range would give me an idea of where to start price negotiations. (Also avoiding accidentally insulting anyone by starting off way too low.)

2-Also what is an average amount charged? I have been looking at a few and if I remember right there was a charge of $30 to $50 per person (to cover the cost of the feature smiths and activities I assume) does this sound about right?

Any of you who have hosted a hammerin and have any thought or suggestions for me I would live to hear them. Thanks!!
Old 04-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Guru

Crex,

Thanks for the advice and the offer!!!! I am from South Carolina and my family is still there. I will be visiting them (by plane so I will come in and go out of the ATLANTA airport!!! How convenient ) from May 27 through June second. If you are around on either May 28th or June 1st I should be able to work it to come see your shop. Would either of those days work? Feel free to e-mail or call me. My e-mail is djohansen@maynardsoft.com and phone 435-753-7209. I am looking foreward to hearing from you!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:40 PM

David,
We don't charge anything. We just use the opportunity to share what we know and learn from each other. We all gain that way!
(And Sandy does a little more than "dabble")

I'll be getting back with you on the other item the first of next week. I kind of have my hands full with the Hammer-in right now.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-29-2004, 01:48 AM
Guru

Crex,

I think that is the best way anyway!!! I was just worried I would not be able to entice any knowledgable makers here to teach all newbies without some pay. But then I may be getting ahead of myself anyway. My current plan is to try and find ways to see as many experienced forgers at work as possible and get better myself and through that maybe other opportunitie will arise! In my experience with anything you want to excell at as you go along trying to learn as much as you can and associate with first class people (my experience with you here in CKD has been just that FIRST CLASS!) things seem to come together, even if it is not what you had envisioned at first. At some point in the future expect to see an annual Utah hammerin but in the mean time I am going to rub shoulders with all the knifemakers I can forgers and stock removal alike!

Tags
forge, forging