MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Enthusiast

Self Introduction

Hello,
I would like to take the opportunity to introduce myself as a new member. As I stated in earlier correspondence with Steve Johnson (I live just an hour north of Steve), I'm an old butcher and meatcutter from the old school where we knew how to not only cut, wrap and display meat, but to butcher it also. I worked the kill floor at a small packing house while in high school and eventually worked through the journeyman level, and the trade helped me get an education. I long ago moved on from meatcutting (still do some part-time and hunting season stuff for family and friends) but it helped me develop an appreciation and love for knives. Consequently I do a lot of sharpening not only of knives but scissors, woodworking tools, and such. The next logical step for me, and a long time desire, has been to make knives. I've got a grinder, drill press, and enough other tools to get me going in the right direction. This excellent site appears to be another great tool to help methrough the learning curve. With that in mind, I'm open to suggestions for what you all think are the best, "gotta have" 2 or 3 DVDs or books that a greenhorn should start with to get going in the right direction. I look forward to your responses and making new aquaintences.

Les Alldredge
Centerville, UT

Old 04-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Drunkenduck
I would start out with Wayne Goddard's "The Art of Knifemaking" and then proceed to the "$50 Knife Shop". The first one will give a real good overview of knifemaking and the second will show you how to get started on the cheap. They will also help you decide if you want to make knives by forging or by stock removal.

Doug Lester
Old 04-24-2006, 03:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
click on the link below and take your pick. Too hard for me to suggest just one. They are all top notch.

Knet books and videos

Old 04-24-2006, 04:31 AM
Master

welcome to the site!

i have limited experience with teaching media but these are some ive read/watched.

Mokume Gane by Steve Midgett.... lots of good info on making mokume. great photos. very profesional layout

The Pattern Welded Blade by Jim Hrisoulas(hope i spelled that right).. lots of good info teaching you how to make damascus

The Wonder Of Knifemaking by Wayne Goddard. good factoid type book covering many questions that have been asked of him

The Tactical Folding Knife by Bob Terzuola. good book on how to make liner lock knives

Basic Damascus by Ed Caffrey. good video on how to make damascus. he makes it look easy and makes you feel like you can do it (my mom watched it and for the first time since i started making knives she showed an interest in trying to make one herself)

Sculpting With David Broadwell. good video teaching you the basics of sculpting steel and handle material.

all of these assume you know the basics of knifemaking and the other aspects not mentioned in them. i viewed these after i knew the basics so i cant point out a good entry level teaching source but these are good for what they are aimed at.

out of all the learning tools ive come across i have to say this forum has been the most helpful tool ive found. i wish it had been around when i started making. it would have saved me many headaches(it still does).
Old 04-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Drunkenduck
I knew I would blow it if I didn't go down stairs and get the book. "The Art of Knife Making" should have read "The wonder of Knife Making".

Doug Lester
Old 04-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Welcome to the fold!

Old 04-25-2006, 02:43 AM
Enthusiast

Welcome!
Have a nice time and I know you will learn a lot.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:56 AM

I have always liked David Boyes book Step by Step Knifemaking: You can do it!, simply because he presents the trade in such a welcoming way. This was the book that made it seem possible for me. I'm glad it was the first book I read! A lot of the tech stuff is a bit off, but it's still a great primer!

I also like How to Make Custom Knives by Bob Loveless. It covers more contemporary techniques.

Wayne Goddard's books have already been mentioned and are certainly worth the investment.

However, The best learning resource is right here in the forums. No kiddin'! I have increased my knowledge ten-fold since I first logged-on herein!

Stick around... This stuff is fun!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 04-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Steel Addict

Howdy,

Yeah Howdy,
and so...
your an old meat cutter???

This is interesting because using knives in ones work makes for a familiarity with knives which is invaluable to a knifemaker. It is natural you are interested in making knives.
I am an old houndsman and trapper, at least I was.
All my hounds and me too were 'killed' by three cowards who died in prison a year ago.
I have carried a knife in my right front pocket since 1959, {the fourth grade.}
And at age, {lets see..} 54,
yup, it is still there.

I got a new computer and it took a year to figure out how to get back here to the:
'Knife Network Forum.'
Old Ray Rodgers figured out the problem and this is my first post in a coons age!
Since I got home from the hospital and since the roofing business crashed after the 9-11 thing, I used junk, I made knives out of junk.
Saw blades, leaf springs, old harrow teeth and whatever I could find which was free.
As I didn't have 'no money.'
It was old Ray who told me :
"Knife, throw out that junk and 'get you' some annealed 'store bought' blade steel."
You are spending more money on grinding belts, electricity and propane not to mention you own time on that junk...
And I did, and it was so.

Now with my last order from old Terry down at 'Admiral Steel' ready for heat treat,
{Thanks Terry !}
and a Gun & Knife Show coming in six weeks,
I'll have 40 knives for sale.
And then I can really buy me some beer.
{Just kidding Ray}
Really, I am walking out to jacksknifeshop.tripod.com right now.
Rather than driving 30,000 miles a year selling roofs for the crews to do,
I'll be at work in about two minutes unless I stop by my chicken coops first.
Is that getting living down or what ?

And I learned it all here!

And I ain't kidding !

See you around Les,
J. Winters Knife
Published Poet
and Killer of Whitemen
Old 04-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Welcome to KNET, Les!

Welcome back Jack, glad you finally made it....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Living Legend

howwwwwwdy!!!

Old 04-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Wecome!

Check this out.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/workshop/index.shtml

Tags
blade, folding knife, forging, knife, knife making, knives