MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
UPS destroys TWO burgmaster drill presses...

Well, after purchasing two burgmaster OB Turret drill presses, and waiting for three weeks...they have finally arrived. The fella I purchased them from did a fine job of packing them, but UPS managed to destry them both! Housings broken, adjustment screws bent double.......... just a flat out mess. UPS is suppose to come on Monday for an on site inspection (I insured them for $500 each), but I suspect it will be a battle none the less. After speaking with several folks, they tell me that the UPS ####### are not happy with the 130 lb package limit,(they feel it's too heavy) and in protest they basically try to break the heavy stuff in hope that UPS will get tired of paying claims and lower the maximum weight limit of packages.

It was sure obvious with the machines I got! they were padded well, and where inside a box, which was inside a second box which was triple layer cardboard. Both looked like they had been rolled down a hill and run over by a truck!
I spoke with a compay in California who specializes in these machines, and am having him send me a total parts and shipping cost to reapir them, which I'll present to the UPS folks when the show up.

Now we'll see if UPS insurance is worth anything....... I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 07-15-2004, 01:18 PM
Skilled

That's a real bummer, Ed. I know you were excited about getting those. I'd say UPS was getting off cheap at $500 each. Good luck! - Jim
Old 07-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Skilled

No they don't like to pay, so just stick with it enven if they refuse the first time. Where I work UPS delivers equiptment worth 10,000's of dollars. totally destroyed! They require an estimate of repair and will pay no more, no matter how much you insured them for. Oh, and THEY determine if It was packed adequately.

bummer.
Jerry
Old 07-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Skilled

Interesting!

I was just getting shipping quotes from 2 machinery places. Both refused to ship UPS on equipment that was just under the UPS weight limit. Even if it was ground and within the same state. They said they were getting a lot of stuff destroyed in transit. I had to use freight.

Sorry to hear about your trouble Ed.

Steve

Old 07-15-2004, 06:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Dang Ed! Sorry to hear about this. Keep us posted on the UPS problems, so far I've had decent service with them (Robert running into the other room to find some wood to knock on). The disappointment, and downtime is a small fortune in itself. This is a tough break guy.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 07-16-2004, 04:59 AM
Steel Addict

Ed that is a bummer. Those are nice drill presses. I just had the same experience with buying a Prazi lathe. FedEx used it for a football on its travels down here. Getting parts for these lathes has NOT proved to be easy, in fact I think it is impossible. Insurance claims with FedEx are also impossible! I got really lucky and the shipper sent me the money and is filing the claim herself. Its been a few weeks and she has not seen any money yet. Good luck!
Chris S.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:09 AM
Skilled

Holy Moly, Ed! I am so green with envy right now. I'd LOVE to have a Burgmaster 0B. Do you have a line on another one perhaps? I've scoured the net with no luck. Ebay usually only gets the bigger models.

Old 07-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Steel Addict

Angry

Oh Boy!...

My blood boils when I think of troubles like this. Most of my dealing is with FedEx due to the 150lb limit. ...and they don't like to pay either. This year alone, I've eaten 3 motors that they destroyed...inpected and returned to me with a denial of claim letter stating that there was no damage. ...Then they refuse to return email, phone calls ...and basically just dissappear. Bear in mind that these motors wouldn't turn because fan guards were smashed in, shafts were bent, capacitor housings knocked off, scratched paint, bent bases...etc.. So, I stop payment on invoiuces...then they stop service...then I'm screwed.

I just meet with DHL...who promises better service...but that is what FedEx said when I booted UPS out.

Whattaya do.....?

Ed, Good luck...I hope it works out for you.

-Rob

Old 07-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Enthusiast

freight

Rob, Ed. I get in several shipments of motors etc. a week. Our policy now is to inspect the shipment. If it is not perfect, do not sign for it. It belongs to the shipper until you recieve it. Works better than other plans so far. m

Old 07-16-2004, 04:40 PM
Living Legend

Dang, Ed, I'm sorry to hear about this. I remember the excitement in your voice when you were talking about them one night in Paltalk. Hopefully those SOB's will make good on it.

I got a box of six cd's from FedEx one day. The box was crushed so bad little pieces of shiny plastic were spilling out. Still, they dumped it on the back porch and boogied. There wasn't a piece the size of a dime inside. The sellor replaced them, but FedEx wouldn't even listen.

Hate shippers. For smaller stuff I stick with USPS Priority. A little insurance goes a long way to make them take care. Too bad the private outfits don't feel the same way.

Good luck in resolving this!
Old 07-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Well, here's the latest. UPS is balking at coming out and doing an onsight inspection. They want me to pack these things back up and take it to them!! My poor wife is livid. She's the one who deals with UPS at her office and has been doing all the coordinating with UPS on this issue. I paid for the $1,000 worth of insurance on these machines, and by darn they are going to fulfill their end of it one way or the other............. I'll be on them like white on rice until they get this one worked out! :evil

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 07-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Master

Fitzo, I usually use USPS Priority too, and have had good results. Some of my packages are ugly, but they always have fiber-reinforced tape, double corugated cardboard, bubble wrap, etc. I note that knives are not inherently fragile. My wife uses UPS exclusively for her pottery. She packs well, but has an occasional breakage of what is an inherently fragile commodity. UPS always has paid her off on evidence of sales invoices, but the one mortal sin they will not forgive is having some one neglect to keep the outer carton for inspection.

Old 07-17-2004, 01:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Ed: Im sorry the joy of finally finding these machines has been spoiled by the abuse they recived when you got them.

Rob, The grinder I got from you looked like it had been dragged behind a truck when I got it! Only luck, and the fact that you pack them like a N.A.S.A payload kept it from being damadged! Both cross braces were cracked due to being dropped, and the platform it is bolted to was snapped in one spot, and needless to say, the outer box was all but missing.
Imagine my horror to see this after waiting months to get home! I thought somone had run over it after delivery!! But as I said, all is well because Rob takes GREAT pains to pkg and crate his equipment!! Rob you are not only a great manufacturing guy, but you are a packadging Guru as well!
Ed I wish you luck, Its been my findings that if your friendly with an attorney that will write a letter for you with out charging $$$$$ it will sometimes loosen up their will. But sadly most of the "small print" that we all sign aboslves them of almost everything! Good Luck Ed, hope this turns out better than it started!

God Bless
Mike

P.S.
Im STOKED! I may be able to do a 1on1 class with Jim Crowell!!
Details when I get them!

Old 07-17-2004, 03:26 PM
Steel Addict

Has anyone had dealings with the new kid on the block DHL? I've been lucky so far, no breakage with either UPS or FedEx. The boxes have been banged, up but that's all. I know my turn is coming though and I'm interested in what DHL has to offer. I haven't even seen any ads for their service yet.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:52 PM
Steel Addict

Tom,

I meet with a DHL rep last week. He says that the main difference will be in customer service. Whenever I have a problem, I call HIM...and he stops by to fix it. He is assigned to a small area simply to support the customers.

When I call FedEx I get an automated phone job....I never talk to the same person twice....and nobody ever seems to take my issues seriously.

I'm going to give DHL a go ...I'm sure there will be problems...but the real proof is how they handle it.

I'm glad to see that they are being so agressive......at least it will force FeDeX and Brown to re-evaluate of few things.

-Rob

Tags
blade, knife, knives