MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Registered

Question New here and looking for tips!

Hey guys, what's up? My name is Jory and i'm new here (this is my very first post) I mainly just wanted to introduce myself and say hello but I also have a question that i'm hoping someone can help me with.
I have been reading everything I can on knife making over the past few weeks. I think I've got a good understanding of how to start out but I just wanna make sure i'm not missing something important. Right now I have just the basic tools including:
a disk grinder
belt sander
few hand files
drill
saw
a small forge
So is that basically everything i'll need to make my first knife out of some steel flats I picked up from my local hardware store?

Last edited by Hauntedpearl; 03-17-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Enthusiast

I consider myself a newb but I will give you my thoughts. Looks like you have the basics with the exception of a vise.

I don't think the hardware store steel is what you will want. That type of steel is usually a mild steel, typically used for welding, if I am thinking about that correctly. I suggest ordering some known steel from a knife making supply store online. Unless you plan on sending out the blade to get heat treated then you need to know exactly what type of steel you are dealing with so that you can implement the needed heat treat recipe as well. And some steels require very precise temps where a kiln is needed. Just my 2 cents.

Have fun learning this stuff!
Old 03-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Registered

I actually forgot about the vice and you were right on with the steel, its for welding but im just going to use it as a way to get used to grinding/sanding since ive never done it before. i have a place around town where i should be able to get some good steel but just havent got around to calling them yet
Old 03-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You'll probably need some sandpaper too. As for steel, you don't want some 'good steel' from some place around town. Get specific. There are lots of kinds of steel which you are simply not going to be able to use. At this point, you should be looking for 1084 if you plan to do your own heat treating in your forge or 440C if you're going to send your blade out for heat treat. Really, that's about it - nothing else. There are other steels that have similar alloys and similar heat treatments but most of them will cost more which is why you should ignore them for now.

You can grind on that mild steel you have and you'll probably end up with something that you'll wish was a knife but it won't be. You'll still use up your sandpaper, files, sanding belts, etc not to mention your time but, in the end, you won't have anything to show for it. The saddest part is that 1084 probably costs less that that mild steel you bought. Even if your first blade is not too good you can still use it to get experience at heat treating - but only if you use a steel that will respond to it. Even if the knife is a little ugly it will still function as a knife so you can use it for testing - if you use the right steel in the first place.

Don't feel picked on - seems like every first time maker we see does this same thing and they get the same lecture. Mild steel is OK for practice grinding but it really isn't the best use of your time and money ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Registered

Ok im getting the idea that mild steel might have been a bad choice, is there a specific reason for this such as its impossible to heat treat them?
And ok ill make sure to ask for 1084, thanks!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Yes. Go back and re-read my last post. Mild steel cannot be heat treated effectively. It's OK if you want to practice grinding but that's all you'll be practicing - you aren't practicing knife making really because that steel won't let you do the rest of the steps. If you want to make knives you need to give yourself a fair chance of success...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 AM

Save the mild "hardware store" steel for guards or fabrication of other shop equipment (if you can't take it back). As Ray said....you can get known good quality 1084 for around the same price or cheaper and learn basics a lot faster.
You mentioned a small forge, what are your plans? Do you intend to forge the blades to shape or just use it for heattreating? Being a little more specific about your approach will make it easier for others to help you find your path and save you a lot of undue misery with wasted time and mistakes.
Try not to use the "shotgun" approach, pick a style/technique that you think you can reasonably master and focus on that to learn the basics. That will also help you be more specific with your inquiries.
Welcome aboard.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauntedpearl View Post
Ok im getting the idea that mild steel might have been a bad choice, is there a specific reason for this such as its impossible to heat treat them?
And ok ill make sure to ask for 1084, thanks!
Carbon, carbon, carbon.
That is the deciding factor between a mild steel and something that will make a good knife.
Read through the Wikipedia articles on steel and steel grades
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_steel_grades

The basic situation is that your mild steel is usually no greater than 1030, which doesn't contain enough carbon to produce a decent edge. There are a couple different recipes out there for 'super quench' that will make them harder, but they still won't perform like a steel with a higher carbon content.

The other thing to be aware of is that the heat treatment process for these steels varies depending on what other things are in the mix, so it's important to know what sort of steel you're working with to get the best results you possibly can.

If you're after something to make your first knife and want to take some of the guesswork out of the equation you can buy one of the build along kits from USAknifemaker

http://usaknifemaker.com/kit-knives-...along-kit.html

All the parts are there and it will really help you get a feel for knife making.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast

I make sure all my new studens buy some mild steel to get the feel of hollow grinding. Theres no sense in screwing up expensive steel for parctice pieces. I have the student cut some 12 inch pieces and grind a blade on each end. The handles will take care of themselves. Ive found this to work very well. Any newbies in the central tennessee area can come over to my shop any time. Bob Levine
Old 05-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Enthusiast

I make sure all my new students buy some mild steel to get the feel of hollow grinding. Theres no sense in screwing up expensive steel for parctice pieces. I have the student cut some 12 inch pieces and grind a blade on each end. The handles will take care of themselves. Ive found this to work very well. Any newbies in the central tennessee area can come over to my shop any time. Bob Levine
Old 05-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Hall of Famer

Another good source that helps you understand heat treating is to go to KnifeDogs.com and go down to the knife makers section then to heat treating and metallurgy and then the sticky at the top of the list. Print it out and keep it by your bed for light reading before you turn out the lights. Heat treating is what makes or breaks, sometimes literally, a knife blade.

Doug

Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast

good tips guys!

Tags
art, bee, blade, files, first post, forge, grinding, guards, hand, hardware, heat treat, how to, knife, knife making, make, making, post, steel, store, supply, tips, tools, vise, welding