MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:25 AM

Innexpensive drill press

I'm looking for an inexpensive drill press, preferably under $100 with decent power and enough durability to last me a couple years. I wont be drilling through anything too difficult such as s110v or something. Mostly 01 and A2.

Edit to add: I'm currently looking at a Wen 4208 8 inch primarily because it is cheap and has free shipping.

Last edited by Wydern; 03-14-2016 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:11 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

That looks better than most cheap presses...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-14-2016, 10:43 AM
Steel Addict

I know that Harbor Freight is not the highest quality but I purchased a small table top drill press from them a few months ago. I have been thoroughly pleased. It cost $69 and you can easily get the 20 or 25% off coupons. I have had it for a few months. It looks and run like it is brand new and for the money has been very hard to beat. I had one previously that lasted three years but my wife accidentally knocked it off the bench onto the concrete. It last about three years and was running great so I bought another one.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoy View Post
I know that Harbor Freight is not the highest quality but I purchased a small table top drill press from them a few months ago. I have been thoroughly pleased. It cost $69 and you can easily get the 20 or 25% off coupons. I have had it for a few months. It looks and run like it is brand new and for the money has been very hard to beat. I had one previously that lasted three years but my wife accidentally knocked it off the bench onto the concrete. It last about three years and was running great so I bought another one.
Out of curiosity, what's the model?
Old 03-14-2016, 03:55 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I have had the HF press and at the risk of repeating myself the Wen looks much better than most other cheap presses. The HF worked well enough for drilling holes in bar stock but not much else. It seemed less rigid to me than a drill press should be and it was not large enough to use with a good vise. In other words, if you should want to drill a hole through a 5" handle block you probably won't be happy. Not sure the Wen would do that either but it seems to be larger. Sometimes size is important ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-14-2016, 07:30 PM
Steel Addict

Had the harbor freigh drill press, was ok but just sold it Saturday. Like Ray said it just didn't have room for a vise if your trying to drill out a hidden tang handle. Mine also had some spin out and I didn't feel like buying a new chuck. Costs more than what you were thinking of, but I just bought one by shop fix that had great reviews. Went together easy and has much more room for larger handles and a vise. Plus it doubles as an oscillating spindle sander. Think it was around $350 but had free prime shipping with Amazon.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedstickJP View Post
Had the harbor freigh drill press, was ok but just sold it Saturday. Like Ray said it just didn't have room for a vise if your trying to drill out a hidden tang handle. Mine also had some spin out and I didn't feel like buying a new chuck. Costs more than what you were thinking of, but I just bought one by shop fix that had great reviews. Went together easy and has much more room for larger handles and a vise. Plus it doubles as an oscillating spindle sander. Think it was around $350 but had free prime shipping with Amazon.
Thanks, but for something that is still a hobby, that's a little more than I'd like to spend. However, I'll keep that in mind in case I ever want to upgrade at some point.

Thanks all for your input, think I'm gonna go with the Wen.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Steel Addict

Have you checked out Craigslist in your area? There are usually some good deals if you are willing to look.

Tags
bee, block, brand, drill, easy, fixed blade, handle, handles, hidden, hidden tang, hobby, press, sander, shop, small, tang, vise