MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 01-30-2001, 11:09 PM
KandSKNIVES

Densifying wood and stag

What is the best process for treatment of handle materials, pressure or vacuum. I have an idea to make a treatment pot, using an old lg. pressure cooker. I would appreciate any in put on my topic and idea.
Thanks,Ken
Old 02-23-2001, 02:11 PM
Bill Foote

Stabilizing wood

Ken, wood stabilization is done by submersing the wood in a liquid and pumping it down with a mechanical pump for an extended amount of time. I've tried it myself with mequite in a water based sanding sealer with not very good results. The pros use monomers and acrylics, but those are flammable and I chose to leave the stabilizing to them. I'm afraid my pump system may blow up in the miidle of the night. I use a dual stage Gast pump to a valve, to a collection jar, to the container containing the liquid and wood. If you try it, make sure you use a cllection jar because the air starts foaming out of the wood at first, and will coat the pump arts quickly.
I tried water based polyurethane, but the molecules are to big to soak in deep (polymer vs. monomer).
The exact ingredients are a guarded secret of the pros. If you experiment and find a good material to stabilize with let us know.
Be careful.
Old 02-23-2001, 05:41 PM
INDIAN GEORGE1

This is how I do it. 1st put the material in a vacuum chamber, I use a Mason jar with a ball valve on the lid, pull 25 to 27 " of vacuum.I have been using mini wax wood hardenern I leave in the chamber for five or so days, checking the vacuum everyday.
Then it goes in a pressure pot, I use a pot that is used for spray painting. Leave the materail in the pot untiled dried. I exchange the air in the pot ever other day.
Old 02-23-2001, 11:56 PM
KandSKNIVES

The formula I will try first deck preservative, carnuba, and beeswax. I will use heat to cause the pressure and the cooling of the pot will then cause the vacuum. Will have to see if the process has to be repeatd.
Ken
KandS KNIVES
Old 03-29-2001, 01:13 AM
Geno

Ken,
Let us know how the beeswax formula worked.
I mainly use Thompson"s brick sealer with a pint of wood hardner added.It works well on wood and ivory.Stag shouldn't need it.If I need a thick base,I thin some epoxy.
Old 04-13-2001, 10:11 AM
LPowell

Hey guys,
I have been hoping to find an inexpensive way to stabilize my own wood. Do any of you have a "set" of plans to make a treatment system? I would love to know that this is something that I could do without alot of cost involved. Maybe someone even knows of a link to a site somewhere that shows how to DIY? Any input will be appreciated.
Old 04-16-2001, 07:30 AM
Geno

One of these days I'm going to type this all up.Anodizing is fun and easy.
Page 1 (TOOL TIME) has info on an anodizer.
The process has been discussed in almost every forum here.
I'll try to put that info together for you,but it will take some time,OK?
Feel free to call me if I can help in the meen time.
You'll need a vacuum pump, a sealed chamber(even a Mason jar),the sealer solution,and a few basic instructions.

It's time we had a good HOW TO on anodizing.

I'll Work on it!
Old 04-16-2001, 04:55 PM
Bill Foote

I met Curtis Wilson at a hammer-in. He directed me to his tutorial: [www.knifeart.com/knifeart...urmwi.html]

Tags
knives