MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Skilled

Question Shop layouts and wall materials.

Hello- I'm fairly new here, my husband is helping me set up our garage shop to begin this adventure. I have a few questions if you good folks here dont mind.

I have a 3 car garage where the shop will be, its currently a 2 car with a seperate paint booth. Its wired 110. There had been a wood barrel stove that has a cinderblock mortared chimney I have visions of using to vent fumes.

My questions are these to start for now.

Are there currently any books out there that discuss setting up a knife making shop. I've been to several of the members here sites. And checked them out but of course like with my wood working everyone does things different but there are always similarities. aka material prep, work/re-working, and item fabrication areas.

I want to learn how to forge. So is there a prefered material for the walls? Currently the garage is drywalled with general purpose 1/2" and for some odd reason has a 4' ring around the lower portion of wall of 1/2" ply that they had started to cover with sheet aluminum but never finished. Before I start schooling and aquiring tools we're looking at doing any prep work in the garage.

Any thoughts, directions to be pointed in or comment will of course be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

JC

Old 04-04-2005, 12:56 AM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
Well here's a begining....

Lighting and air circulation. You're going to need a lot of both. If you use the KN search utility I know there is a lot of info on both of these.

Next if you are planning of forging in there you will need to figure out where you want to put it and the propane tank. Preferably not next to something flamable. (don't set it next to that 50 gallon barrel of gasoline )

That ought to be enough to get you started and keep you busy for a while.

Trust me, you don't want to get too bogged down with info and things to do. You'll either get burnt out or just overwhelmed.

Chris Nilluka
Old 04-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Steel Addict

Hey there,

I recently finished my owm shop as I too am a newbie. I started by determining which bench tools I would need room for, i.e., bandsaw, drill press, grinder, vice, belt grinder, etc.. Then I begrudgingly cleaned out my very messy garage. Once I knew what kind of space I had to work with, I grabbed some graph paper and drew out a plan for a sturdy bench that would accomodate my equipment needs and provide general work space. Mine is ancored to the garage wall studs for maximun sturdinessand includes a shelf under the work surface.

I am still planning a power strip on the wall a few inches over the bench and a peg board for general tool and grinder belt hanging.

Be sure to remember a fire extinguisher and a slag bucket.

I use a small gas forge which I just move out into the driveway for outdoor use.

I vent with a box fan and an open door.

Have fun.

Andy

Old 04-05-2005, 03:20 AM
Enthusiast

I dont have any advice for you as far as knifemaking I'm a newbie myself but I can offer advice if you need it on electrical setup for any equipement(day job electrical contractor). That being said goodluck and welcome to the forum's it's a great place full of great people!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 02:15 PM

Julie,

As Andy stated, figuring out the space required for tools, forge and anvil is at the top of the list. You'll need open area for the forge and anvil. Lots of shops have a metal bandsaw for cutting stock to length, air compressor and a dust collector. Bench space will be needed for belt grinder, drill press (if bench model), small bandsaw for handle material, bench vise, and a clear area for knife assembly. You will also need storage area for raw materials. Wood, bone, micarta, for handles. Pins, screws etc for attaching handle to knife. Blade stock, material for bolsters, guards and end caps. All the various hand tools (files, hammers, sanding blocks, calipers and thickness gauges, centerline marking tool, etc), sandpaper, grinding belts (many different grits), buffiing wheels and buffing compounds, spare bandsaw blades, for both wood and metal(bi-metal recommended).

Once you have a "Tools I want and need list" draw up a floor plan, then you can decide where you need electricity, dust collector inlet locations and air compressor outlets. It is way better to design in space for tools that you will get later than trying to redesign a whole shop to add a tool.

Have fun,

Bob Sigmon

PS - I'd design the floor plan with the forge away from the walls. That way you can get around it and the anvil and the wall material won't be as much of a problem. If you have to place the forge near a wall, I'd use the tile backer board (cementboard) over the drywall.

Last edited by Bob Sigmon; 04-11-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
...don't forget the pegboard!

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 04-12-2005, 07:49 AM
Skilled

Lots to do....

Well this past weekend I evicted any 8 legged creatures that dwelled in the garage and bombed the place. Only thing I haven't been able to evict is 'Rupert' which is I believe a possum that lives the garage rafters. Not quite sure how to go about that. But oh well.

Here is the list of tools I currently have- I have them spread out between the basement furnace room area (because its too cold and not cost effective to heat the garage this past winter), the garage and my studio area off the living room.

Garage- 12" jet bandsaw, 12" contractors compound mitre saw, 10" table saw w/dado, mortising machine, sandblasting set up w/ 15 gal. compressor.

Basement- 42'' strip/belt sander w/ disc (sears), bench top belt sander w/disc, w/ 7'' diamond saw (for lapidary work), drill press (bench mount), dremel lathe and 4" table saw, router set up (used to do doll house/minatures) wet grinder (wussie one). Second 15 gal air compressor for running air tools in the studio upstairs. With dust collection system.

Studio- All my leather tools (25years worth) jewelry tools for wire wrapping, scroll saw, dust collection set up turbo carver high speed set up and a die grinder for large shank carving and a heavy duty dremel for medium range work. (BTW I love my turbo carver) its set up for wet/dry work I am learning intaglio carving on amber/glass. Photo imaging set up for doing half tone sandblasting templates.

In the kitchen dining area I have my generic Ferdinand Bull knock off sewing machine- sews up to 3/4" leather (I do harness work). And yesterday the UPS guy brought me the engraving ball I just bought from Danny on this site . So now starts the knife making 'stuff' and embellishment tools aquisitions. I know it wont be overnight- I have to save for everything I've had to replace. But I've got a pretty good headstart...

Next major purchases. Zoom microscope- air powered engraver(s) (either Lindsay or GRS) forge and a portable furnace for smelting brass/bronze (I'm fascinated by casting) and classes both BSA (probably next winter when its 'cold' up here- I like the idea of TX in Jan/Feb ) and GRS as I can afford to be 'away' from home. But probably start with the Montgomery classes before then.

(would you believe my husband won't even pick up a hammer?) lol. All kidding aside hes a great guy. He keeps me in tools I get him nice computer 'stuff'.

Oh and peg board is my friend. Keeps work surfaces clear and gives me room for more 'stuff'

JC

Old 04-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Steel Addict

The Grizzly Tool site has a shop planning program that may help. Just compare the size of your equipment with the Grizzly stuff and lay it out the way that you want.
Here is the site http://www.grizzly.com/index.cfm? click the button on the lower left

Old 04-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast

You're way ahead of where most of us started. Sounds to me like you've got a good thing going so, good luck and get in the swing of things!

Larry
Old 04-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Skilled

Having fun making stuff-

Thank you for the replies and the shop layout program. I've been slowly rebuilding my shop since suffering from the big 'D' several years ago. And I've been slowly rebuilding ever since. They may not be as fancy but they are paid for and all mine

I've done auto body- my 16 yr old son and I did a near frame off on my 1970 Dodge 3/4 ton pick up. Dash was inset with claro walnut and hand tooled leather. I gave it to him for his 18th birthday

We're currently on house remodel #5 and I think I'm done with those- Time for something new and fun. I've done leather for years, and getting into the SCA has been a blast. Any excuse to be creative is a good thing!

I'm sure I'll trip through many learning experiances here and am not afraid to share them-so long as I keep my fingers and bring a smile to everyones face.

I included some pix of the truck- befores and afters.

Have a great afternoon-

Julie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck.jpg (16.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg truck1.jpg (15.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg dashbefore.jpg (25.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg dashafter.jpg (23.2 KB, 41 views)

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making