MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 03-07-2017, 09:54 PM

Fisherman's birthday gift advice, HELP

Hello Knife Network forum,

I have to start by saying it's great to be here but, I also have a confession, I'm not here for making knives as such but more for advice on what to get my father for his special day.

In about 6 weeks my father will be hitting that beautiful round age of 60 and I want to get him something really special to make this day a special day. When it comes to buying my father a gift it is really hard work. He has been fishing for about 50 years and has just about every bit of equipment that you could imagine.

Then the idea came to me, everyone needs a good knife especially if you're a fisherman that loves to eat what they catch. But I don't just want to get him a standard knife from a local store, I'm looking for something personalized to him. So, one knife that he could use for fishing and then a couple of top quality knives for gutting a fish etc with a sentence inscribed on the side, that's what I want and I am needing your guys help to get it.

The best I have been able to come up with is some sort of fillet knife like these ones here http://www.used.forsale/buck-fillet-knife but I'm sure I could get something a little more personalized.

In terms of budget, there isn't really one, but, I'm not too sure how high figures could go so I'm up for any suggestions

Last edited by JoshuaKent; 03-16-2017 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Guru

Judging from the pictures you put up, it looks like you're wanting a unique folder too Joshua?
Also what kind of fishing does your father do? I live in the mountains and a small filet is what I usually use, but I sometimes go to Florida and use bigger knives, one as big as a carver. A fifty pound cobia is a big fish and some fish are hard to skin like a sheephead. I have 3 knives typically for ocean fishing and a medium small filet for freshwater. I don't eat catfish.

There are some really masterful makers here, some are master bladesmiths with excellent reputations and some like me who make a few knives. So what exactly are you looking for? Some guys here can engrave as well. So you may see a factory knife and want the bolsters engraved.

If you want a folder I haven't made many, but others here sure have. Look through the "knives for sale" room. Any of the moderators will help you if you PM them. An engraved knife sounds like maybe something you may have in mind. I recommend Damon as I know him and have watched him work, he is an artist.
Here is some of his work.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/oiseaumetalarts/

Last edited by jimmontg; 03-09-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast

What knives does he currently use for those things?

I''m also lifelong fishing obsessed but I keep my boat and fillet knives just cheap, functional, and replaceable. Mora Companions and Rapala Fillet knives. If I got beautiful personalized quality ones from a son I'd probably just keep em safe at home! Maybe he is more careful though.

Last edited by Neil McCauley; 03-09-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:44 PM

It looks like I have a lot more option than I thought. I will have a browse through the link you provided and get back to you on that. As of what he fishers for, there is carp, pike, bream fishes like this but as of eating I have no idea.

After a little browsing i will be back guys

Thanks
Old 03-10-2017, 12:43 AM
Guru

One thing though Joshua, from what you said a medium filet knife looks like what he would want if not a unique folder for every day carry, EDC. A filet knife made from S30V would last a long time between sharpenings btw. Very tough and holds an edge like you won't believe. He may like something like that. I used to commercial fish and take out charters in the ocean and literally have filleted tons of fish. To me holding an edge would be paramount and going through over 100 fish before having to sharpen the blade would also be what I'd like.

Your Dad is a freshwater fisherman and probably likes crappie best, I know I do. Small fish, but then pike are not small, but you'd have to find out if he eats them as they are more a sport fish. They are good eating though and where pike prowl so do walleye another good eating fish. I fish too and been doing it since the 60s.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:24 PM

This is more along the lines of what I had in mind. The S30V is small, strong and very handy to carry around. i will check some of the different designs out then see what I can do and about getting it personalized. Thanks guys
Old 03-14-2017, 09:50 PM

What do you guys think: http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=66512

I love the design!

Maybe it would be better to go with him and see what he gets a good feel for when in the shop. We have few blacksmiths in the local area, so we could go to see what they have.

Last edited by JoshuaKent; 03-16-2017 at 01:15 AM.

Tags
advice, art, back, bee, blades, bolsters, cheap, engraved, file, fisherman, fishing, folder, for sale, home, knife, knives, made, make, makers, making, s30v, sale, small, store, what kind