MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 01-25-2017, 03:33 PM

Randall #1 ~ 1943-45

I have my Dad's 7" #1 fighter which he got during his time stationed at Navy Aircorp station in Pensacola ~ 1944-45. I remember Dad carrying the knife on many hunting trips during my childhood and the knife had developed quite a patina. Before he gave it to me a few years ago, he tried to clean it up with a dremel tool, and basically scratched it up pretty badly. I sent it to Randall about a year ago to see if they would restore the blade, but it was returned saying that they wouldn't do that.
I have cleaned it up significantly by handsanding and buffing (trying to not be too aggresive) and it now looks alot better. Dad lost the original sheath some time in the past and had a generic one made.
Question is; did I hurt the value of the knife by polishing (considering poor condition that Dad imposed with the Dremel)? Also, is there any suggestions on finding a more accurate sheath from the era? I'd eventually like to pass it along to my son someday but was interested in value, etc.
Any help is appreciated. Will try to post photos of before my polish vs. after for comparison.
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...MBnyHw5kQMndUz
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/at...=w1583-h889-no
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...AjCtf_JAG8VqDE
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/g6...g=w500-h889-no
Old 01-25-2017, 04:15 PM
Skilled

Hi Rzskier
Welcome to the group.
When it comes to the early knives, unless the blade is pitted and rusted, we usually leave the patina. With your dad taking a Dremel to it, that certainly didn't help, unless the blade was rusted/pitted.
With you knowing the story of this knife, and your dad's service, and using it on hunting trips, it has many stories to pass on to your son. If it were me, I would leave it as is, including the sheath, as your dad had that made too. It's a treasure that can be passed on.
As to the value, others here may speak to that.
Regards, Sam
Old 01-25-2017, 04:29 PM
Skilled

I can't access all the pictures, a password seems to be required... The one picture I did access was not good. Consider taking good pictures and post using photobucket or ano6ther on line hosting.

Knife looks legitimate, sheaths can be found. Here is one example...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-WW2-WWII-...4AAOxy14VRSxrf

I strongly suggest consulting with an expert before buying a sheath to make sure you are getting the right period. I strongly suggest leaving the knife alone and seeking advice on what else can or should be done. You probably have not hurt the value that much given it was already well used. Ron Mathews will be able to direct you once good pictures are posted.

Value is a market issue. There have been quite a few WWII Randalls sold on E-bay which is a ready market reference. Sheath adds a lot to the equation. You can search Randall WWII and come up with a number of knives for sale now, and if you know how to look at previous sales, you can look for similar ones. Most of the WWII Randalls on line right now are Springfields. Yours is an Orlando blade.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:39 PM

Sorry for the mix up on posting. See if this link to photobucket works. FIrst three photos are after my polishing attempts. Others are prior. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:51 PM

Another question, if I may bother you.. Is the small indentation, below the "F" in FLA a part of the maker's mark, or is it just an imperfection in the metal? I saw your earlier thesis on the history of the Randall mark, but did not see anything in this position. I tried to stay away from the mark when polishing the blade, but ignorance may have won in this case!

Old 01-25-2017, 05:56 PM

Hi Rzskier!

Welcom to the Knife Network!

Unfortunately your link dosen't work, but I believe this will:

http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/rz...?sort=3&page=1

Your Dad has given you a great heirloom.

Have you ever heard the song "The Randall Knife" written and sung by the late Guy Clark?

Hear it is? Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY5M...ZEGqQ&index=36

Cheers!

David

Old 01-25-2017, 08:04 PM

Absolutely love that song! Thanks so much for sharing. My sentiments exactly.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:11 PM
Skilled

Here are the pictures from photo bucket. Knife looks pretty decent actually, handle looks solid. I would keep the sheath your father had made... but I would try to acquire a period sheath, just because I'm am a little Obsessive Compulsive. With period sheath the knife with documented story would probably be worth over ....

Last edited by Jacknola; 01-25-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast

come on Jacknola, how can you leave me wondering lol.

Carl
Old 01-25-2017, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the great feedback! I'll take your advice and look for a period sheath. Hopefully my Son will appreciate the history of Randall and in particular his Grandad's knife when I do give it to him. Got to admit, I'm a bit overwhelmed about how much info there is available once I did a bit of digging. I do appreciate all of this qualified advice!
Old 01-26-2017, 06:45 AM

Rzskier,

I agree with Sam and Jacknola: Keep the knife paired with the replacement sheath that your Dad secured for it. That sheath is an integral part of it's history. A decent period sheath (Made by Heiser or Southern Saddlery or Moore) might cost you up to $1K. The sheath that Jacknola linked was made by Mosser for an 8" bladed "Springfield Randall" knife, which was not made by the Randall shop. You can pick up a "VL&A" sheath that they sourced for the Randalls they sold that were not supplied with sheaths from Randall for a lot less, but IMO that wouldn't be much better than the sheath you have. My Dad left me his 1945 3-6 Hunter and I cherish it above anything else of his that I have. Congratulations on your heirloom.
Old 10-15-2023, 01:08 PM
Registered

1943 Randall Inherited from uncle

I

Last edited by bullseye13; 10-15-2023 at 01:12 PM. Reason: trying to post pictures of my knife

Tags
2017, advice, bee, blade, clean, fighter, fighting, for sale, holster, how to, hunting, knife, knives, leather, made, make, maker's mark, post, randall, sheath, sheaths, tool, wwii