MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:49 PM
Guru

Need some more Knife making stories and the problems that crop up.

It has been slow the last few months and Christmas coming too. I've been having issues with people that want a knife or a belt to go with it. If you can make a cool sheath you can make a matching belt to go with it if you have time. Avoid lined belts unless you have a sewing machine. I've been sidelined with cataracts and the surgery to fix it. Now I can see better than I have in years.

I recently bought some pieces of Alabama Damascus from Sheffield Knife Supply. Mostly smaller pieces, but outstanding stuff. Sheffield's doesn't have a lot of Damascus left at their 50% discount.The dear old lady who ran the company after her husband died passed on herself and they are modernizing. Expect a new catalogue next year and a website. Their old catalogue is still in force, but call to double check prices and availability.
Click on catalogue @ http://www.sheffieldsupply.com/
sinds, 4" drop point. He chose some bocote for the handle. I finished up about 90% of the knife and called him to find out if he was right or left handed, but he had quit and left no phone number. The bloody beggar bastardo!

So now I've spent a lot of time and almost the last of my bocote wood and no deposit because the maintenance job here pays above average and I figured he'd be good for it, Plus I gave him a working man's discount on the price after he raved on about how cool the knife was. I won't do that again.

Anyone have similar experiences with close friends or family? Would like to hear what you do now to prevent getting stiffed again.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:06 PM
Master

Glad the cateract surgery went well. Mom loved the results being 20/20 though she required reading glasses for up close. She wore glasses since she was 17 and had the surgery at 74. Was quite a change.

My story is my being scammed-to trusting.

Way back in my early times of making I "sold" by one's word of honor. Had a guy call stating how nice of a design the knife was and he'd like one. We talked a bit and he mentioned his name which I wasn't familiar with. After the call I looked him up and the name matched with a person within the knife industry manufacturing production level knives. I sent an email update and left a message on his machine...no response. Sent the knife out to the address which I verified was a real residence. In those days they'd send a check or the knife back if not happy. Honor among "gentlemen".

Just after the knife was dropped at UPS made a call to the number given stating it was on the way. This time somebody picked up and it was a liquor store. That chill of "oh sheep!" went down my back. After that looked up the name given and found a different phone and house address. Called the number and the guy was unaware of his name being used. He as pretty peeved to say the least. Relayed the address of where the knife was to be shipped and he said he and his buddy's would resolve it. He couldn't say if I'd get the knife back but he said, "IT WILL BE TAKEN CARE OF!" The person who was using his name lived about 5 miles from him so it was easy to go over and handle it.

About 15 years later the knife come up for sale at a dealer's site. Brought back many memories from being scammed. After that a deposit and payment in full before the knife would be shipped.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:06 AM
Guru

Interesting story Mike. I see that someone was angry about their name being used in a scam. Too bad you didn't get the knife back.

I also see that a chunk of my story fell off somewhere. LOL The knife is a hollow ground 4 inch blade drop point made from 440C. Made when I worked at a machine shop. I hesitate to make a sheath for it as I prefer to know the handedness of a buyer, but I'll probably go ahead and make a RH sheath for it.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:06 PM
Master

I counted that as the price of becoming educated. Even now I like to be able to take a person's word as solid but that is becoming a fractional amount with lowering odds.

The RH sheath is my default.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:56 AM
Guru

I try to be trusting to a point.

I already had the materials for the knife for the maintenance man, but if not and I would have had to buy something then it is always a double deposit. Only exception I make is my son. I made him a Nile Crocodile belt and raw materials were $125. If it had been anyone else I would have asked for a $225 deposit.

When I gave the saddle stitched belt to my son he asked how much it's worth. He was blown away when I showed him the catalogue price, $550. Nile crocodile is more supple and stronger than gator is. Solid brass buckle and of course hand stitched 8oz Hermann Oak leather. Oh and solid brass Chicago screws so he could changed buckles. LOL
Caveat, beware of "crocodile" from Central America as that is caiman and a boney leather.

Tags
bee, belt, belts, blade, bocote, ca, chris, christmas, damascus, drop point, for sale, handle, knife, knife making, knife supply, knives, make, making, man, sewing machine, sheath, sheffield, supply, wood