MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:39 PM

good belt grinder?

Does anyone know about a knife making belt grinder by "Suremak Industries" its a 2X72 made in Canada? I was looking at it online and its reasonably priced but i have never heard any reviews on it. http://www.suremak.com/grinder.html i need to upgrade from my harborfreight 1x30
Old 05-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Steel Addict

Looks to me if you buy it with a motor you're only a few dollars away from a bottom end KMG. Or without the motor you're at the price for a grizzly which is a proven machine. Other than that it looks like a decent grinder. I like the small wheel attachment. Could come in handy.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Taking a look at it, I would say that it's solid. The only thing that I see is that adjustment on the back of the frame that allow you swing out the small wheel attachment. It's about the same price as the Coote grinder which also comes without a motor. The motor that I advertise as an add-on is at minimal power; a 1.5-2 hp motor would be better. A grizzly is a little cheaper but not half as flexible as that unit seems to be.

Doug

Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the advice guys..
Old 05-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Master

May be hard to get a Suremak , I live an hour away and stock was limited , so I looked at the Coote as a comparable , he (Coote) was excellent to deal with however in the end I did end up paying a bit more for a KMG and am very glad I did. I have since added a similar (used) Coote-Suremak-Grizzly style 2 wheel 2x72 that I simply couldnt say no to (price) for other jobs and although I'm very happy with it, it just doesnt have the versatility of a 3 wheeler...in my opinion.

Last edited by BCROB; 05-20-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:05 AM

Horizontal Belt Grinder for sale.

I recently purchased Dave Cole's shop-built belt grinder from his wife, Linda. The unit is fine, but turns out to be a bit too small for my intended use. My demands are different than a knife maker. You can Google for "Dave Cole" and "Shop Tour" and see some photos of the blue unit. Nicely made, but I need a longer platen for my use. I have nearly $300 invested and would like to recover same. Located just north of Seattle, WA. Call at 360-661-6060.
Thanks.
Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA

Last edited by shammatt; 05-21-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-29-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammatt View Post
I recently purchased Dave Cole's shop-built belt grinder from his wife, Linda. The unit is fine, but turns out to be a bit too small for my intended use. My demands are different than a knife maker. You can Google for "Dave Cole" and "Shop Tour" and see some photos of the blue unit. Nicely made, but I need a longer platen for my use. I have nearly $300 invested and would like to recover same. Located just north of Seattle, WA. Call at 360-661-6060.
Thanks.
Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
I assume after 4 years this is no longer around.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:04 PM
Guru

Looking for a grinder Scotty?

Buying a 2x72 is a big jump. Something I never bought for myself, but I worked in the metal fabricating fields and I have had access to many different grinders. A 2x72 is a big step, but the preferred grinder for knife makers. I use a 2x48 and a 1x42 with an 8" disc.

I'm a hobbyist and do OK with what I have. I started with a 3x21 hand held belt sander clamped to a table and some started with files and sandpaper, which you will need to learn anyway to a certain degree, depends on your budget Scotty. If there is a Knife maker near you you might want to ask them for a hand up.

Tags
2x72, advice, back, belt, belt sander, coote, disc, files, for sale, grinder, hand, knife, knife making, made, makers, making, metal, sander, shop, shop tour, small, usa