MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 03-11-2017, 04:26 PM
Skilled

For my friend Jack Williams

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332151578273?ul_noapp=true
Old 03-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Skilled

It's awesome to see these special knives surface. I wish the paperwork was clear enough to read.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:18 PM
Skilled

ALOT of things do not add up with this knife in my estimation. The seller seems to have an AWEFUL lot of "Special Forces" items for sale as well......
Old 03-11-2017, 09:51 PM
Skilled

This knife doesn't match the note. It is a post-1972 knife no doubt about it. I was in SF but not in MACVsog, but my twin brother was in sog, as 1-1s and 1-0 on RT Delaware, during his second tour in 1968. It will be easy to check out this trooper and his service... and I will say that his use of MACVsog jargon is correct. But the part where he avers he acquired this knife and carried it in 1969-70 is just not true.

It is possible that someone has substituted a different knife for the one that the note referenced. Or he has mixed up his Randalls. I'll check out the trooper and his service first. Regards to all... it bothers me these things are in Spain.

Last edited by Jacknola; 03-13-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:41 PM
Skilled

Jack, take a look at his other auctions. Where did he come up with all of his SF gear?
Old 03-11-2017, 11:14 PM
Guru

It is hard to figure the SOG references. I was not SF, but was at Dak Pek AI and 77th Rangers and under MACV. There was a lot of uncommon weirdness going on. I was not supposed to be there, but there I was for a while. Moved around a lot being in Intelligence. Freaking AN movie weird. I do not know what this guy is selling, but require references, and names if no refs. Pics should be there too, if any. I do not trust any SF things for sale. I call and talk, if I cannot do that then I pass.
Call me wary.

Last edited by jimmontg; 03-12-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknola View Post
This knife doesn't match the note. It is a post-1972 knife no doubt about it.
Agreed, Jack. The "S" is inclusive to the Randall stamp and the sheath has no rivets. It's difficult to see if it has a lined thong hole or if the liner has been removed as there is no good shot of it. He has also not allowed the option of magnifying his photos.

It's interesting that his ebay name is nam1965, but he says he didn't arrive there until 1969.

Spain??????????????????

Last edited by BoBlade; 03-12-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Skilled

I?ve looked at all those display boxes he has for sale? and while much seems authentic, the attribution to a particular SF trooper is problematic. The berets he shows seem to be authentic 1960s, but these can be purchased still and flashes etc. can be added.

Above is a picture of four berets. Which one was worn in Vietnam? The beret with the lining is the one I wore home from Vietnam in late 1968? and it wasn?t even mine! The other two with proper stamps were berets I bought and stashed in 1966 before I went overseas. I had flashes sewn on them about 15 years ago. The beret with the patch ID is not authentic. ..I carry it to the DC mall on Memorial Day to use for children and adults who want to take a picture with us.

Now observe the uniforms underneath the berets. These are period authentic with proper patches etc? but I bought those about 15 years ago and had them patched up. They were not worn by me in Vietnam.

My point is that pictures, boots, berets, medals, can all be bought and then assembled into a display box. This can be done relatively cheaply. Unless the guy offering these was a collector who had access to SF team members (doubt it being these artifacts are in Spain), I doubt any of these boxes he has for sale actually contain true artifacts that are tracable to the trooper whose name is attached. But even if they were, how could you know?

Certainly the knife is not associated with the time period attributed by a statement allegedly from Myers, RT Connecticut. Everything about that knife says later 1970s... shape of guard, lined thong hole, stamp, sheath... And if the statement is truly from him, the knife is certainly a replacement for the real one. The picture is real but the attribution of that particular knife is not. By the way, I will soon have all the info available on Sgt Myers and RT Connecticut.

Jimmontg, I was assigned to A-242 Dak Pek from Jan-May 1968, and again from Aug-Nov. when I EtSed and DEROSed. Small world.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-28-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Guru

Small world Jack. Were you in group 3? Remember the guys in hawaiian shirts? Did you work with T. Poe?

Was it crazy for you too?
Old 03-13-2017, 09:51 AM
Skilled

I think the explanation on the offering has been reworded (or I missed something - a rare occurrence). Notice the wording of the statement in bold. He now seems to say that he acquired the knife Post-Vietnam when he was engaged in other classified operations. This makes it possible that Sgt. Myers did own and carry this knife...just not in Vietnam. That would explain the post-Vietnam age of the knife.

Here is his explanation attached to the offer on E-bay:

"S-T-A-T-E-M-E-N-T

In December 1969 through November 1970, I, Daniel Myers volunteered to serve with MAC V SOG (Military Assistance Command Vietnam, Studies and Observation Group), Command and Control North, Recon Company. I joined Recon Team Connecticut and took the 1-1 (One-One) position with David Bennett the 1-0 (One-Zero). I held the Assistant Team Leader position until March / April 1970 when I was reassigned as the NCOIC (Non-Commissioned Officer In Charge) of the CCN Isolation Area. Post-Vietnam, I worked in Classified Operations that have not been downgraded. During this period, I acquired this Model 14 Randal Knife that has my nick-name ROCK carved into the sheath.

Photo:

Daniel R. Myers

Recon Team ?Connecticut?

Command and Control North (CNN)"
Old 03-14-2017, 06:16 AM

That was added, Jack. If he would deceive prospective buyers on the age of the knife, then he is capable of deceiving about being SF. I preciously mentioned that the seller lives in Spain. That's a big red flag for me.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:06 PM
Skilled

I checked the sales history of this guy and looked at the items he has marketed. He has sold tons of Special Forces memorabilia, including a lot of shadow boxes that are long on pictures and documents, and short on equipment documented to the soldier featured. Quite a few of is ensembles have some farby and very questionable items included.

Those previous "personal equipment documented to Vietnam" ensembles, supposedly documented to a great many different troopers, makes it likely the seller of this knife and box is probably NOT Sgt. Myers. The seller is probably borrowing pictures and documents of deceased veterans and putting together displays attributed to the veteran ... and the word for that is "creepy" at best and "Someoneoughttobeatthestuffingoutofyou" at worst.

He does seem have access to the on-line SF sites that are most accurate, and to the key books that are credible, especially the volumes on MACVsog, which have many pictures and histories that can be scanned.

But I would stay far away from his stuff. Some of the things he has sold are downright ... well ... of obscure vintage.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:35 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
The knife has a lined thong hole.
Ronnie

Tags
awesome, bee, books, collector, common, easy, for sale, home, knife, knives, memorial day, military, movie, post, randall, rivets, sale, sheath, small, sog, stamps, surface, vietnam, vintage