MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:49 AM
Registered

Removing a finish

I know this is a repeat question but I can't get the search box to stay open. It keeps disappearing as soon as I try to type. I want to remove the finish from crkt kangee axe and I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
If I was sure I wanted it removed, I'd try a blasting cabinet first, as that would be the simplest/easiest method.

Not knowing specifically what the coating is, it might require grinding/sanding. Removing a coating such as that via grinding/sanding can be very time and labor intensive.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 10-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast

Yeesh, its powder-coated so you're gonna have all sorts of fun getting down to the metal on that one. Most paint strippers won't touch it until you get to the commercial aircraft grade stuff if you want to go that route. Trying to sand or grind it off might work, but be prepared for it to take a while. Sandblasting would probably be the safest option, in regards to you health as well as the metal, but again be prepared for it to take some doing.

Personally, I'd get my hands on the strongest chemical stripper I could find, and take every safety precaution possible
Old 10-04-2017, 05:04 PM
Guru

If it's powder coated then the best way is to scrape it off. Any method you use will be tedious. Sandblasting doesn't work on powder coat well at all, it bounces off.

Tags
axe, chemical, coating, crkt, finish, grind, grinding, metal, paint, powder, question, safety, sand, sanding