MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:39 AM
Enthusiast

Filling gaps between scales and bolsters?

What's the best way to fill this in?

I was thinking about mixing some sawdust with epoxy, removing the scale and pasting a thin layer on the edge against the bolster. After it dries sanding it flat at a new angle until it's flush. Other ideas?

Last edited by Neil McCauley; 08-18-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:04 AM
Skilled

go ahead and trim the handles down to nearly finish, then mix the sawdust as mentioned, but don't wait till it dries. put handle back on and scrape off excess. when it cures you can finish sanding and finishing.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:59 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon View Post
go ahead and trim the handles down to nearly finish, then mix the sawdust as mentioned, but don't wait till it dries. put handle back on and scrape off excess. when it cures you can finish sanding and finishing.
That would bind it to the bolster/liner though, right? Trying to keep the scales removable.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I can't think of a way to "fill" that gap with anything that won't "stick" to the bolster(s), that won't look terrible. The way I would do it is to hand sand the angles on the front of the scales, using a granite block (or you can use a piece of glass) with a sheet of sandpaper on it..... take a stroke of two, trying to hold the scale at the correct angle, and they test fit it....keep doing this, and test fitting until you get the best fit you can. AFTER that is done, then drill the screw/attachment holes in the scales.
It looks like you already drilled holes, so doing as I am recommending would require starting over with new scales.
I suspect you're thinking...... "I don't want to have to start over on the scales.".... but keep in mind, when it comes to knifemaking, you can have "good" or you can have "easy".....but rarely can you have both.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-18-2016, 08:58 AM
Skilled

if you have the material.... make a new one.
I do as ed mentioned... fit handle first, then drill holes. guess you can count this as a learning experience.

if you still want to go the rout of epoxy fill....... wipe a layer of silicone grease on the bolster/liner. then after it sets, hand sand to clean up.

other option.... add spacer material.
http://www.knifemaking.com/category-s/569.htm
Old 08-18-2016, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast

Eh, no way I am starting over. It's a pretty minor thing.

I tested the epoxy/sawdust method using a thin layer of vaseline on the bolster and liner and it protected them from the epoxy. Looks like I will do that.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:57 AM
Skilled

glad you found a useable solution.
sometimes "a pretty minor thing" will mean starting over :-/
Old 08-18-2016, 10:56 AM
Master

When a cover up scenario rears its ugly head be it simple or complex I would go the Ed route and do it again......but that's just me ,
as a buyer I wouldn't want to receive a patch job , as a maker I wouldn't sell one....again that's just me and just my opinion, completely different if it's for your own pocket or belt but same principle would apply here for me....

Old 09-18-2016, 03:08 AM

How about trimming the handles back and attaching a suitable spacer material in there this will give you the chance to fix that gap and add a bit of contrast to boot then it wasn't a mistake you meant it
Old 09-18-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbarks67 View Post
How about trimming the handles back and attaching a suitable spacer material in there this will give you the chance to fix that gap and add a bit of contrast to boot then it wasn't a mistake you meant it
Since you can't/won't redo the scales, this would be my approach as well. Pretty simple solution.
Just make sure you use quality epoxy and measure more than once before you mark then stay on that mark. Nobody said knife making is easy.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 09-18-2016, 07:13 PM
Hall of Famer

There's good and then there's good enough. If you were keeping the knife for yourself you can settle for good enough. If you intend to sell it good is minimum quality. Remember, it's your reputation here.

Doug

Old 12-12-2016, 10:23 PM
Master

Super easy fix. I'll get a slightly shifted scale or bolster when screwed down. I'm not about to toss it or remake either handle material unless it is REALLY BAD. Handle scales IME don't do well with epoxy blends because they show.

Grind the bolster from the frame/bottom side down. The reduction in height pulls the dovetail down proportional to the gap without altering your pivot or mounting hole locations. Now if there is significant gap then the amount taken off will not line up so you'll have to adjust the other bolster or handle scale to match.

Last edited by M&J; 12-12-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:42 AM

A question relating to the subject. If you glue and rivet your scales is there a considerable loss of durability if you would take on the habit of always mixing your glue with a bit of sawdust?

Tags
angle, apply, back, blade, block, bolster, bolsters, drill, easy, edge, epoxy, flat, hand, handle, handles, knifemaking, make, material, pocket, sand, sanding, scale, scales, screw, simple