MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:35 AM
Skilled

Modify a finished Randall Stiletto

Solingen teeth

Above is a Randall, late 1960s Solingen blade Model 14 with saw teeth. The knife is constructed from 1/4-in stock and the teeth are cut after the top edge was ground-beveled into a blade-like shape.

I don't know if this is the place to ask... but I am considering having a 1973 Randall Model 2"Fighting Stiletto" modified to include saw teeth on one edge. A picture of the modification is shown below.

The Model 2 is made with a different blade grind (either hollow or saber?) than the Model 14. Thus if teeth were added they would be less robust, but so is the Model 2 blade itself.

The Randall shop will not do this modification. However, information was received that the shop cuts the saw teeth (those models offered with the saw-teeth option) as a last step before final polishing. If that information is accurate, there wouldn't seem to be a metallurgic reason it could not be done by an expert knife maker or a good machine shop.

Would anyone recommend a procedure or contact who might undertake this? I would welcome comments about problems that may occur, chipping fracturing, etc. Could the knife be restored to a nice polish finish afterward? Thanks.

For reference this is what the knife looks like now:

Mod-2 and sheath front

Last edited by Jacknola; 03-24-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:38 AM
Hall of Famer

I would be afraid that you would ruin any value in the stiletto by cutting teeth into one of the edges. Any collector would be much interested in an unmodified Model 2. I also imagine that the edge of the stiletto is much thinner than the spine of the other knife and would not have enough steel to support the teeth and would be rather useless.

Doug

Tags
blade, blades, collector, edge, fighting, knife, randall, shop, steel, stiletto