MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Enthusiast

Question padauk wood

hello all . just picked up a some padauk . just reading that it will lose its color from the uv , and the grain is not the best ? . is this stuff worth putting into knife scales . will a minwax hardener stabilizing help with the grain and color changing ?
Old 07-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Master

it'll help a bit Don but you'll be hard pressed to get it to penetrate completely , keep in mind Minwax isnt waterproof either..........depending on the intended use of knife

Old 07-20-2014, 04:08 AM
Skilled

Don, I bought a nice piece of Padauk that has excellent grain patterns, a piece big enough I can easily cut out the nice pieces to my liking. I have used on a couple of knives so far. I hand sanded to 400gr and wet the wood to raise the grain before the 400gr. I then used Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil to eliminate the color change from UV exposure. Works like a charm. I used 3 thin coats.

I love the orange color. Just remember that when you grind on this wood it will make a mess, looking like a bag of Cheetos exploded in your shop. Well worth it if you like orange! Good luck!

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 07-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCROB View Post
it'll help a bit Don but you'll be hard pressed to get it to penetrate completely , keep in mind Minwax isnt waterproof either..........depending on the intended use of knife
thanks rob , maybe ill try as some sort of a bolster ?
Old 07-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmaduro View Post
Don, I bought a nice piece of Padauk that has excellent grain patterns, a piece big enough I can easily cut out the nice pieces to my liking. I have used on a couple of knives so far. I hand sanded to 400gr and wet the wood to raise the grain before the 400gr. I then used Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil to eliminate the color change from UV exposure. Works like a charm. I used 3 thin coats.

I love the orange color. Just remember that when you grind on this wood it will make a mess, looking like a bag of Cheetos exploded in your shop. Well worth it if you like orange! Good luck!

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO
ok thanks tony . good to hear .
to wet the wood do you just rub a tiny amount of water or light sponge on some water ?
Old 07-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac250 View Post
ok thanks tony . good to hear .
to wet the wood do you just rub a tiny amount of water or light sponge on some water ?
Don I just lightly sponge some water on it, let dry then sand. I do it from 400 and over grit, if I go beyond 400. I will also do it 3 times on my final grit. It looks great with Tru-Oil protection, and also has a nice sheen.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 07-20-2014, 09:37 PM
Skilled

here is one I did a few years ago. I carry it every day. in pocket, so sun isn't an issue.
ive used it a few times, and when you get a nice grain and sanded down nice and fine.... it can look like flaming rattle snake scales.

sorry the pic isn't so great. its actually gotten darker with time.
and that mess you were warned about aint no joke! that bright red/orange dust gets everywhere fast. but smells nice.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/oiseau...57629378096370
Old 07-20-2014, 11:16 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon View Post
here is one I did a few years ago. I carry it every day. in pocket, so sun isn't an issue.
ive used it a few times, and when you get a nice grain and sanded down nice and fine.... it can look like flaming rattle snake scales.

sorry the pic isn't so great. its actually gotten darker with time.
and that mess you were warned about aint no joke! that bright red/orange dust gets everywhere fast. but smells nice.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/oiseau...57629378096370
wow very nice damon . now with that wood it seems to have those deep cut grains every where . is there a way to fill them in with sanding and coating ? i did a knife before and had that open grain look / pours . im just new a this .

Tags
bolster, grind, hand, knife, knife scales, knives, make, pocket, rat, sand, scales, shop, stabilizing, tiny, wax, wood