MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:52 PM
Registered

Howdy, new guy visiting - spacer materials?

First off, hello all! I ran across this forum looking for alternative handle spacer materials. I bought a very nice knife, a TOPs model, which came with spacers - about.03" thick. The design of the handle is generally fine but a bit on the narrow/thin side for my hand, so I've been considering replacing the scales with thicker micarta slabs, OR a simpler alternative - just replacing the spacers with thicker material.
Anybody have any recommendations? The original spacers are red, which is nice, but I'm open to other options. Since the scales that are on it now are black I'd probably prefer a contrasting material, but it's not critical. I'd want spacers at least .06", probably more like .09" thick. I'm thinking probably something like plastic container material, or other repurposed material. Possible even epoxy impregnated leather, or maybe that reddish brown reinforced gasket material. but I'd sure welcome recommendations from folks with some experience.
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-2016, 08:43 PM
Guru

Try Jantz Supply under handle materials.

Jantz supply sells G10 as spacers and they are 1/32 thick. You could buy two different colors and make a sandwiched spacer. I use their vulcanized white spacer with the blue G10 to a very good effect with the blue-white-blue it measures .096, which is close enough to 3/32. I am using them on an Arkansas toothpick in a couple of places on the hidden tang handle. I'm thinking a white-blue-white would go well with a black handle material, but guess what? They have black as well. White-black-white? The yellow G10 would be good too. Yellow-black-yellow? Use your imagination, they have pink G10 too.

The odd thing is is that they do not have white G10 spacers, but a good variety of others. Don't forget the vulcanized rubber spacers have different colors too, but if you put too many together the rubber will smear a little. It is great with G10. Oh, just a side note on the vulcanized rubber spacers after a few years the white turned a bit reddish by taking on the color of the cocobolo wood of the handle it was on. Looks good though. BTW, both materials cut well with decent scissors.

Tags
arrow, bee, design, epoxy, fixed blade, forge, g10, handle, hidden, knife, leather, material, materials, micarta, plastic, recommendations, scales, spacer, spacers, supply, tang, tops, wood