MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:50 PM

Saw a knife that look like it had grinder marks, what is it called?

I have seen a few knives lately that look like a grinder was used to make groves on the knife. The knife looked almost like obsidian, like an native Indian knife. The knife I saw didn't have a handle, and the whole knife had groves, only the cutting edge and bevel were smooth. I don't know how it was done, but it looked so cool I want to learn how to do it. I don't know if you could do it with a hand grinder or not. Please help send me in the right direction. Thank you
Old 02-28-2016, 01:59 AM
Guru

There was an article in Blade about it.

Jeep Man, does it look like something you could do with a dremel and a round fine diamond bur? If what you are describing is what I think it is that is how it was done. I remember years ago about '97 or so reading an article in Blade or another magazine that it is definitely done by grinders. I wish I could help more, but I would suggest that you practice it with your dremel using small grinding wheels and the diamond round. You said you had three dremels so I'm sure you have some small fine or very fine stones.
I would guess that was what they were using. The more I think about it the more I remember, I believe the guy in the article was using a Foredom. They also showed some knives and they were not very shiny like obsidian. Where did you see these knives?
Old 02-28-2016, 07:10 AM
Steel Addict

They do it using a quarter inch wheel set up on their grinder. Angle the handle so it cuts different depth to make the grooves.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:54 AM

Basically, the maker is trying to emulate the look of a traditional flint-knapped knife but is actually making a steel knife with modern performance abilities.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 02-28-2016, 11:01 AM
Guru

Yes, that is how I remember them doing it. If your dimples, for lack of a better word, are not very bright use a small very fine grit cratex wheel or a round stick in a drill gun or the dremel points that will screw onto the buffing spindle for your dremel. You can go back over your dimples with that and it will really shine. Best place and best price for Cratex isn't Cratex, but Boride Engineered Abrasives, Cratex charges to much for shipping and the cratex sticks. You can buy the points at Jantz knifemaking supply, but they are only 1/4 in. diameter, but would work very well for what you want to do. Sharpen or shape your points by using sandpaper.
https://www.borideabrasives.com/Publ...e/Default.aspx
That is the link. They are an interesting company, they sell high quality diamond lapidary paste. If you want a quick shine then diamond paste is great and can take out an accidental scratch with a dremel.
Hope all that helped. Click on All Photos and take a look at some knives I finished using cratex. Titled my wavy knives.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:15 AM

I saw the first knife on facebook, and the second one was made by Kaila Cumings, she had a picture on facebook. I did try a dermal yesterday with a small round grinding stone, the stone was 1/2 to 3/4" long and 1/2" round. The round stone worked ok, I need more practice. The other stone I tried was a cone shape, that one didn't work as good, but might clean up the other grinder marks better. I did also use a flat narrow grinding wheel, and that didn't work. I did notice that it is a pain in the butt to see what you are doing, the stone covers up your work. I will post a picture of my knife after while.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:34 AM

My knife pictures. WIP. IMG_1043.JPGgrinder1.JPG

IMG_1045.JPGgrind3.JPG

IMG_1044.JPGgrind2.JPG
Old 02-28-2016, 02:48 PM
Guru

You're taking too much off for the obsidian look. A more subdued grind, just dimples like the flakes off of obsidian. They used a 1/4 in. Foredom, which is basically a large dremel. The guy in the article made a bunch of small indentations and it looked just like obsidian except he did it on a stainless knife. He used a round grinding stone with the corner worn down. He only ground down about 0.010 into the blade. I see your point about if you make a mistake it will cover it up. I'll have to keep it in mind. My wavy knives deal won't cover a pitted blade. You can't hardly feel the waves as it's just a surface polish. I have a very old Norwegian laminated blade that had several rust pits and I sandblasted the rust out and blued it. I'll try it out tomorrow. It's been sitting around here too long. I'll round off one of my cylinder stones with a diamond file.

Last edited by jimmontg; 02-28-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:54 AM

The look I am after is close to what my knife picture looks like. I do need to put my grinding grooves closer together, and I will do an acid etch to make the blade black.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:40 AM

This is a steel 'knapped' knife.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 03-02-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:01 PM

Cool look, I will try one like that one. How was that one made? The other knife I saw looked closer to the one I made and posted. Thank you
Old 03-03-2016, 06:08 AM

Could you post a picture of the bit/ stone you used?
Old 03-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Guru

Did you use the dremel stone or the 1/4 foredom? I started doing it to a piece of scrap and it heated up, so don't do it to a HT knife without letting it cool..

Last edited by jimmontg; 03-03-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:40 PM
Master

As mentioned a small wheel on your grinder or rotary. The big grinder is more efficient since the abrasive lasts longer. This is one Bill Cheatham did in the 80's as "Chip Flint". Buck #######d this for some David Yellow Horse limited editions as well.

Tags
angle, bevel, blade, buck, diamond, drill, edge, flint, grinder, grinding, handle, how to, knife, knifemaking, knives, make, making, man, post, scratch, small, steel, supply, traditional, wheels