MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 PM

Engraving needed

My son builds custom electric guitars and would like to start adding his name on various steel parts on the guitar. He need simple machine type engraving with his name and a date. Does anyone here provide this kinda work?

M
Old 04-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Master

He could get a dremel but he probably wouldn't get very good results. I'd say his best bet is to see if any local jewelers or trophy shops have an engraving machine. Usually they can do it for a few bucks.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Steel Addict

Stencil and electroetch with saltwater. There are a lot of threads about etching logs and where to get the stencil materials.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Master

What parts does he want to have his name on? How large does he want his name/mark to be?

The electro chemical etch does work and has a consistent look. An engraving pantograph IMO is more appropriate for guitar parts. Trophy shops do this regularly but if this is a growing business, buying a pantograph of his own may be a consideration. There are varying models to choose as well as used. Figure $500-$1,200+ depending how elaborate a set-up is desired.

These pantographs can be similar to the markings that are on Schaller tuners. As well, he can also do any composite-plastic parts similarly.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J View Post
There are varying models to choose as well as used. Figure $500-$1,200+ depending how elaborate a set-up is desired.

I'm aware of such things, but if he's wanting to do it on the cheap and get some decent results the saltwater method is by far the cheapest.

Take a look at:
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/sword-engraving.html

The stencils are likely to be the most expensive part of the whole setup, and even that will be pretty cheap. If he buys a commercial setup he's going to spend close to the same. I think the DIY method would be good to try so he can see if it will give results he's comfortable with.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Master

Imakethings, I get the sense you took issue with my reply and it was not a negative implication to yours. The OP didn't state a budget other than "simple" engraving machine. The OP asked for suggestions which he received in the replies. He can investigate which method suits the parts he will be marking for his circumstances.

Tags
art, chemical, choose, custom, diy, engraving, etch, etching, materials, plastic, simple, steel, stencil