MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

View Poll Results: What do you think of reconstituted/composite/altered natural materials?
All for these 11 7.86%
Depends on the project 94 67.14%
Like some, dilike others, pls explain 21 15.00%
If your not going to natural why bother 13 9.29%
Other, pls explain 1 0.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by decheman
Looking to make some scales out of ivory or syn. ivory but need a source. Any help? Also, as you may have concluded I have not used ivory before, any advise on working it and finish. Thanks
Frank
Try http://www.masecraftsupply.com/
They have all the synthetic stuff.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Skilled

Hey There,
I had a scout group that wanted to make some decent but cheap fillet knives, so we bought some blades and they wanted to use dymond wood because of the color selection. So we ordered everything and went to making them and I have never seen so many handles crack just from drilling, sanding, pinning, and dropping. Maybe we just got a crappy batch or something. Good thing I purchased some extra sets. They all turned out good in the end. I like to use reconstituted stone for spacers and even for an occasional bolster. I realy like micarta. I think the only bad experience with the man made stuff i have had was with the dymond wood. Thanks, Shane
Old 08-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Hall of Famer

Most of the plastic material seem to be too gaudy and artifical looking. I have use recon stone for spacers and rather like it for that application but I think that it might be too brittle for scales. or as a solid handle for a stick tang knife. I think that Diamond Wood has gotten a lot of undeserved bad press. Some of it is rather nice looking and it's about as stable as it gets, though I do agree that some of the patterns are a bit much. Stabilized wood is good, though some woods don't need the treatment or won't accept it. It may be a little "plasticy" but in does improve some wood and other wood would not be good for handles without being stabilized. It all depends on the material and the application.

Doug Lester

Old 04-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast

I really enjoy using Corian............works really well and quite predictably.
Finishes from matt to high gloss. I always wear a blown filtered mask as the fine dust is nasty.

barry

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, tang