MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Primitative knife sheath question...HELP!!

An acquaintance of mine has asked me to make a knife sheath for his primitive style knife. He wants the belt loop to be on a 45* angle. He wants a primitive type sheath like the one shown on pg 59 of the Aug 2011 Blade mag. His knife is a dagger style with blade about 8" long and deer antler handle about 6" long. He wants the outer shell to be covered with a piece of distressed upholstery leather (he gave me) to resemble as much of the sheath in the pic as possible. I told him it would work better (I thought) if he let me order some deer rawhide like I've seen so many covered in, but he doesn't want to spend the extra $.

Two problems that I have come across so far as I can see. He wants the sheath to cover most of the handle as well-not usually a major problem for me, as it can be formed around the handle. Problem is that using the upholstery leather as both front and rear outer shell, it is going to rather difficult to put a 45* belt loop sewn onto the back, especially as it needs to be up by where the handle is formed.

The other problem is getting the upholstery leather to fold over the welting/core case edge and make it look good.

My plan of attack is/was to cut the welt out of 8/9 oz, then cut an "upper welt" to give the upper part of the sheath more strength, and as a positive stop for the hilt. Then skive the two outside welt spacer pieces down where they meet the actual knife slot so the core layer won't show bulges.

So far, the only thing that has worked out right has been the welting. I haven't figured the best way to attach the belt loop, or the best way to sew everything up. I had planned on sewing the core pieces to the welt, then forming and glueing the outer shell on, then sewing it up. With the upper part of the sheath formed round, it will be very hard to attach the belt loop.

I have made knife sheaths, but nothing like this, ad frankly, am stumped. If anyone has any suggestions on this, I would be glad to hear them and use them if possible. I would send pics of what I already have done, but can't figure out how to do that here.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

This one was made with alum tawed sheepskin over a veg tan core rather than rawhide so what you are asking is not impossible or all that hard. Using the upholstery leather for the cover can in fact be easier than working with rawhide.

I do ot get Blade so if you could scan the pic and post it I could offer more info.
As for the belt loop there are several ways to attach it prior to sewing the whole thing up, but again seeing the original would be of great aid in determining the best way to do it..

As for the edge - again not a problem and there are several ways to do it and make it look good.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 08-09-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:33 PM

Chuck,

I tried several ways to scan/copy/ paste the pics of the project here to no avail. So, I emailed them to you, along with more details. Maybe you could post them for me?? I must be doing something very wrong with my attempts at posting pics.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

I got your email and mailed you back. Did you get my reply?

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 PM

Chuck,
Just got a chance to check emails while ago, and mailed you back.

Tags
antler, blade, knife, post, sheath